Playing: 100: Not a Clip Show - Episode 100!
Potluck - Tabs are better? × Coding Music × SEO × Is Angular good? × Biggie Smalls × Soy Sauce × More!
Potluck - Gatsby vs Next × Is Google Home spying on you? × Flat File CMS × CSS Frameworks × Hosting Client Sites × More!
Potluck - Terminal Configs × CSS Reset × Flexbox × Freelancing × NPM Dependencies × Project Hand-off × More!
Potluck - Why Webpack? × Serverless × Agencies × Recruiters × CSS Grid × MQ in Styled Components
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Dec 12th, 2018
Not a Clip Show - Episode 100!👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
To celebrate episode 100, Wes and Scott are talking about Syntax - their most popular episodes, stats, Q&A, and a bunch of cool stuff about what it's been like making this show for 100 episodes.
Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what's happening with your errors, track them with Sentry. Sentry is open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time. Cut your time on error resolution from five hours to five minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code "tastytreat".
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
1:45 - Celebrating 100 episodes
04:18 - Our first episode
06:23 - Our first sponsor
09:37 - Most popular episodes
- 10 - Syntax074 - 11 Habits of Highly Effective Developers
- 09 - Syntax039 - Is jQuery Dead?
- 07 - Syntax048 - VS Code Round Two
- 06 - Syntax050 - Progressive Web Apps
- 05 - Syntax018 - All About CSS Grid
- 04 - Syntax051 - Our Workflows: Design, Development, Git, Deployment
- 03 - Syntax066 - The React Episode
- 01 - Syntax044 - How to Learn New Things Quickly
21:35 - Top countries
- Just passed 3 million downloads
- 10 - Poland - 38,731 downloads
- 09 - Brazil - 40,475 downloads
- 08 - Netherlands - 47,601 downloads
- 07 - India - 50,724 downloads
- 06 - Sweden - 55,378 downloads
- 05 - Australia - 80,654 downloads
- 04 - Germany - 109,842 downloads
- 03 - Canada - 138,250 downloads
- 02 - United Kingdom - 231,835 downloads
- 01 - United States - 1,220,519 downloads
27:34 - Top players
- Pocket Casts
30:35 - Lessons learned about sponsors
- Pays the bills - editing, hosting, etc…
- They want hard numbers
- Conversions are hard to track
- It’s really cool companies and users that enjoy the product hook up
- How do we get them?
35:10 - Favorite episodes
- Scott - Syntax044 - How to Learn New Things Quickly
38:49 - Q&A
- Q: What's your favorite soundboard sound?
- Q: What's your recording process like? Do you each record your streams locally then edit them together or are there any "hax" you guys have cooked up as developers?
- Q: Does Scott practice his segues, or do they just come to him on the fly?
- A: On the fly 😎
- Q: Although I am all for peace, why did you choose "peace" as your outro statement?
- A: It was a random note from Wes in the first episode and we stuck with it
- Q: how did you meet each other and decided to start the podcast?
51:20 - Most asked questions
- What episode was it that you __ ?
- Can my boss come on the show and talk about bitcoin?
- Can you sick pick my thing?
- Can you do an episode on VueJS?
- Can you do an episode on Angular?
- NO EP TODAY?
54:20 - Random thoughts
- Neat to have community - lots of experts
- Twitter is great
- Sales of our own products
- Transformed Level Up Tuts
- Doing fitness, hobbies, and life as a developer is fun
- Learned a lot from researching shows and from community feedback
- Different voices can give different breakthroughs
57:10 - Future of Syntax
- No. 1 goal is to always be a fun, helpful show
- Not going to become a promotional tour stop
- Maybe more interviews
- Easy to listen to and and understand