Playing: 100: Not a Clip Show - Episode 100!
Apr 1st, 2020
Mental Health and Dev ft Dr. Courtney Tolinski - Depression, Anxiety, Imposter Syndrome, Focus, Motivation, Burnout
Mar 25th, 2020
Potluck - Bootcamps × Career Change × Figma × Gatsby × AMP × Mongoose × More!
Feb 26th, 2020
Potluck - Next vs Gatsby × Headless CMS × Vue.js × Is Ruby on Rails still good? × More!
Jan 29th, 2020
Potluck - Dev Culture Fit × Slack Communities × Vanilla JS × Backpacks × Raspberry Pi × More!
Jan 27th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Building A Community Slack, Discord, Spectrum, Discourse, Forums
Jan 20th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Picking the Stack for uses.tech - Gatsby, React, Context, Styled Components
Jan 1st, 2020
Potluck - Fonts × Frameworks × Teas × Coding Subscriptions × Client Work × More!
Dec 4th, 2019
Potluck - Tabs are better? × Coding Music × SEO × Is Angular good? × Biggie Smalls × Soy Sauce × More!
Nov 6th, 2019
Potluck - Gatsby vs Next × Is Google Home spying on you? × Flat File CMS × CSS Frameworks × Hosting Client Sites × More!
Oct 9th, 2019
Potluck - Terminal Configs × CSS Reset × Flexbox × Freelancing × NPM Dependencies × Project Hand-off × More!
Sep 18th, 2019
Potluck - Why Webpack? × Serverless × Agencies × Recruiters × CSS Grid × MQ in Styled Components
Aug 21st, 2019
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Jul 31st, 2019
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Jun 26th, 2019
Potluck - Career Switch at 33 × Cover Letters × Kids × Learning Quickly × More!
May 29th, 2019
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
May 1st, 2019
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Apr 3rd, 2019
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
Mar 6th, 2019
Potluck - Are classes dead? × Tutorials vs Real Life × CRA vs Next × Scraping × More
Mar 4th, 2019
Hasty Treat - Authentication - LocalStorage vs Cookies vs Sessions vs Tokens
Feb 27th, 2019
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Feb 6th, 2019
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Jan 10th, 2019
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Dec 19th, 2018
Potluck - Typescript × E-commerce platforms × Job-hopping × Working for agencies × more
Dec 17th, 2018
Hasty Treat - Where are they now?! Gulp, Grunt, Bower, Backbone and Compass
Nov 21st, 2018
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Oct 26th, 2018
Potluck - Working with designers × Is WordPress Crap? × When to stop working × More
Aug 29th, 2018
Potluck - Programming Languages × Soft Skills × PHP vs JS × Breakdancing x Spice Blends
Aug 1st, 2018
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Jul 24th, 2018
The Undocumented Web - scraping, private APIs, proxies and “alternative solutions”
Jul 18th, 2018
Advice For Beginners - Tech Skills, Applying for Jobs, Focus, Imposter Syndrome + More
Jul 4th, 2018
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
May 9th, 2018
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Apr 18th, 2018
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Feb 7th, 2018
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Jan 31st, 2018
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Jan 24th, 2018
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Nov 29th, 2017
What's New in CSS? Variables, Scoping, New Selectors and Color Functions
Nov 1st, 2017
22 Buzz Words Explained — Mutations, Pure Functions , Serverless, Hoisting, MVC + More
Oct 18th, 2017
Tasty Treats — Rems VS Ems, Remote Work, Making Money, Getting good at Design + more! 🍬
Dec 12th, 2018
Not a Clip Show - Episode 100!👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
To celebrate episode 100, Wes and Scott are talking about Syntax - their most popular episodes, stats, Q&A, and a bunch of cool stuff about what it's been like making this show for 100 episodes.
Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what's happening with your errors, track them with Sentry. Sentry is open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time. Cut your time on error resolution from five hours to five minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code "tastytreat".
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
1:45 - Celebrating 100 episodes
04:18 - Our first episode
06:23 - Our first sponsor
09:37 - Most popular episodes
- 10 - Syntax074 - 11 Habits of Highly Effective Developers
- 09 - Syntax039 - Is jQuery Dead?
- 07 - Syntax048 - VS Code Round Two
- 06 - Syntax050 - Progressive Web Apps
- 05 - Syntax018 - All About CSS Grid
- 04 - Syntax051 - Our Workflows: Design, Development, Git, Deployment
- 03 - Syntax066 - The React Episode
- 01 - Syntax044 - How to Learn New Things Quickly
21:35 - Top countries
- Just passed 3 million downloads
- 10 - Poland - 38,731 downloads
- 09 - Brazil - 40,475 downloads
- 08 - Netherlands - 47,601 downloads
- 07 - India - 50,724 downloads
- 06 - Sweden - 55,378 downloads
- 05 - Australia - 80,654 downloads
- 04 - Germany - 109,842 downloads
- 03 - Canada - 138,250 downloads
- 02 - United Kingdom - 231,835 downloads
- 01 - United States - 1,220,519 downloads
27:34 - Top players
- Pocket Casts
30:35 - Lessons learned about sponsors
- Pays the bills - editing, hosting, etc…
- They want hard numbers
- Conversions are hard to track
- It’s really cool companies and users that enjoy the product hook up
- How do we get them?
35:10 - Favorite episodes
- Scott - Syntax044 - How to Learn New Things Quickly
38:49 - Q&A
- Q: What's your favorite soundboard sound?
- Q: What's your recording process like? Do you each record your streams locally then edit them together or are there any "hax" you guys have cooked up as developers?
- Q: Does Scott practice his segues, or do they just come to him on the fly?
- A: On the fly 😎
- Q: Although I am all for peace, why did you choose "peace" as your outro statement?
- A: It was a random note from Wes in the first episode and we stuck with it
- Q: how did you meet each other and decided to start the podcast?
51:20 - Most asked questions
- What episode was it that you __ ?
- Can my boss come on the show and talk about bitcoin?
- Can you sick pick my thing?
- Can you do an episode on VueJS?
- Can you do an episode on Angular?
- NO EP TODAY?
54:20 - Random thoughts
- Neat to have community - lots of experts
- Twitter is great
- Sales of our own products
- Transformed Level Up Tuts
- Doing fitness, hobbies, and life as a developer is fun
- Learned a lot from researching shows and from community feedback
- Different voices can give different breakthroughs
57:10 - Future of Syntax
- No. 1 goal is to always be a fun, helpful show
- Not going to become a promotional tour stop
- Maybe more interviews
- Easy to listen to and and understand