Scott and Wes dive into the ins and outs, best practices and tasty tidbits of Progressive Web Apps.
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It's an exception tracker, a session replayer and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free over at https://logrocket.com/syntax
- What's the deal with the GitHub / Microsoft acquisition?
- What is a Progressive Web App?
8:55 - Progressive Web App Checklist
What are the baseline features for a Progressive Web App?
- Pages are responsive on tablets & mobile devices
- Metadata provided for Add to Home screen
- First load fast even on 3G
- Page transitions don't feel like they block on the network
What makes an exemplary Progressive Web App?
- All content is indexed by Google
- Schema.org metadata is provided where appropriate
- Social metadata is provided where appropriate
- Canonical URLs are provided when necessary
- Pressing back from a detail page retains scroll position on the previous list page
- When tapped, inputs aren't obscured by the on screen keyboard
The Best of the rest
- Content is easily shareable
- Site is responsive
- Any app install prompts are not used excessively
- The Add to Home Screen prompt is intercepted
- Use cache-first networking
- Use Lighthouse to improve the quality of your web apps
××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××