Scott and Wes are back with another round of tips, tricks and tasty treats for their favorite code editor, VS Code.
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It's an exception tracker, a session replayer and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free over at https://logrocket.com/syntax
06:05 - Favorite new updates
- Notification API
- Auto Import
- Listing errors in the file explorer
- Column Selection
- Interface Customization
- Hot Tip: Anytime you find yourself using your mouse, there's likely a shortcut key for what you're trying to do
- React Snippets Library
- Wes' VS Code settings
- Visual Studio Live Share
27:40 - Favorite/New Extensions
38:49 - Themes
40:35 - Tips and Tricks
- Learn how to jump and select by letter, word, line, etc.
- Move a line (or Line Bubbling) - Use this for rearranging and/or moving lines of code quickly.
- Cycling through multiple windows of the same app - If you have multiple VS Code windows open, "Cmd + backtick" will cycle through them, so you don't have to drag them in and out of view.
- Adjust MacOS keyboard settings - change Key Repeat to "fast" and Delay Until Repeat to "short". This will make your editor super fast when holding down arrow keys.
- Use Git features
- Spell Checker - "Cmd + ." will open up code actions and you check for possible misspellings, etc.
- Rename Symbol - Much more reliable than find/replace.
- Sort Lines
- Select everything between quotes - (Cmd + Shift + Space)
57:25 - Things that could be improved
- Region folding is inconsistent and sometimes doesn't work at all.
- No easy way to tell which extension is causing CPU performance issues.
- Sidebar indentation isn't clear.
××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××