Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
May 16th, 2018
Fluent Conf - Sponsor
Developers, software engineers, designers, and web performance professionals flock to Fluent in pursuit of a common goal: building a better web. That means delivering fast, secure, accessible experiences to users and customers.
Fluent covers a broad range of technologies and topics to provide web programming professionals with the skills, connections, and inspiration needed to build better online and mobile experiences.
Fluent is this June 11-14 in San Jose, CA. Save 20% today with code: SYNTAX
Netlify — Sponsor
Netlify is the best way to deploy and host a front-end website. All the features developers need right out of the box: Global CDN, Continuous Deployment, one click HTTPS and more. Hit up netlify.com/syntax for more info.
They are also hiring! netlify.com/careers
1:55 - Scott's new studio
4:57 - Pop Motion Pose
- Define locations instead of CSS styles
- Pass the animation state into a React component as open or closed instead of active or inactive
- Flip animation techniques
- Style Fire - Simple HTML & SVG styler optimised for animation
8:44 - Intersection Observer
- Browser-based API based on observables
- Example uses: Tell me when this element is on the page, goes off the page or is halfway down the page
10: 32 - MDX
- Webpack loader for MDX (i.e. JSX-infused Markdown) using mdx-it
- Turns MarkDown files into components in Webpack
12:56 - Resize Observer
- Watch elements for resize
15:47 Web Animations API
- Tell your animations to play, pause, reverse, etc.
- Instead of changing classes, you have full control over what the animation is doing
- Web-Animation-JS Polyfill
- Can I use
18:00 - Window Face Detector API
- Create a new window.face detector and pass it an image tag and it returns an array of faces.
22:53 - Payment Request API
- Eliminates check out forms
- Allows platform to handle payment safely and securely
29:23 - INTL.NumberFormat
- Format pricing with different currencies
32:59 - V8 BigInts
- Makes working with big numbers more viable
34:53 - Speech Recognition
- Converts speech to text
- Pipe in different accents
36:22 - Text To Speech
- Simulates text into spoken words
41:46 - ES6 Modules In Node
- There are no ES6 modules in Node. It's still being developed. If you want to build an ES6 module in Node, you have to use the .mjs extension