Playing: 208: 2019 YEAR END Definitely Not a Clip Show
Potluck - Tabs are better? × Coding Music × SEO × Is Angular good? × Biggie Smalls × Soy Sauce × More!
Potluck - Gatsby vs Next × Is Google Home spying on you? × Flat File CMS × CSS Frameworks × Hosting Client Sites × More!
Potluck - Terminal Configs × CSS Reset × Flexbox × Freelancing × NPM Dependencies × Project Hand-off × More!
Potluck - Why Webpack? × Serverless × Agencies × Recruiters × CSS Grid × MQ in Styled Components
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Dec 25th, 2019
2019 YEAR END Definitely Not a Clip Show👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes do a 2019 year in review — the most popular Syntax episodes, what they learned, some personal updates, plans for next year, and more!
Prismic - Sponsor
Prismic is a Headless CMS that makes it easy to build website pages as a set of components. Break pages into sections of components using React, Vue, or whatever you like. Make corresponding Slices in Prismic. Start building pages dynamically in minutes. Get started at prismic.io/syntax.
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
1:40 - Plans for 2020
- Syntax Live March 2019
- Plans for 2020
- Twitter has done really well for @syntaxfm
- Community feels great
9:20 - Top 10 Syntax episodes of 2019
- Syntax162: The Fundamentals - JS
- Syntax120: Gatsby vs Next
- Syntax158: The Fundamentals - HTML + CSS
- Syntax126: Bootcamps vs School vs Self-Learning
- Syntax138: What's New in Web Development
- Syntax130: The VueJS Show (Scott teaches Wes)
- Syntax146: CSS the Cool Parts
- Syntax174: How to Build an API
- Syntax154: SVGs with Sara Soueidan
- Syntax106: A Look Forward to 2019
25:17 - Personal Stuff
- Brooklyn Tolinksi
- 2019 was really tough for me
- Level Up courses for 12 months
- Huge changes to my production values and office
- Huge changes to LUT codebase (React hooks, Typescript, Next.js, Mongoose)
- New Baby in June / 3 months Paternity Leave
- Bought a cottage
- Hardest course to make was Beginner JS — it was a slog, hard to stay motivated at times, with 80 hours of recording alone
- Course Platform re-write (Next.js)
39:17 - Stuff we learned
- Better speaker
- Lots of TypeScript
- Better debugging
- General improvement in JS writing and programming skills
- Really good at Vanilla.js DOM API
- React Hooks
- Audio Visualization
- Shape Detection API - Faces, Barcodes, Text
- Headless CMS: Prismic, Sanity, WordPress GraphQL, Keystone.js, Hasura
- Very good understanding of the nitty gritty of JS (closures, objects, this, new keyword, classes, etc.)
- freeCodeCamp Podcast
- CSS Houdini
- Syntax109: Hasty Treat - CSS Grid Level 2 aka Subgrid
- Syntax092: React Hooks
- Dev Mugs
××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××
- Scott: React & TypeScript For Everyone - Sign up for the year and save 25%!