Playing: 126: Bootcamps vs School vs Self-learning
Dec 8th, 2021
Nov 17th, 2021
Potluck — Copilot × Glasses × Databases × Dealing with Stress × Employment vs Self-Employment × Auth in GraphQL × Headless CMS × More!
Nov 10th, 2021
Web Containers, StackBlitz, and Node.js in the Browser with Tomek Sulkowski
Oct 20th, 2021
Potluck — Coding for Kids × MongoDB Hosting × NoMoreFoo × Best Cities for Dev Jobs × GraphQL Resolvers × Package Security × Prototypes and Portfolios × More!
Oct 6th, 2021
Potluck — Corn Shucking × Self-Hosting Images × WordPress × Getting Scammed × Portfolios
Sep 8th, 2021
Potluck - Sass × Houdini × No JS? × Solid Project × First Dev Job Tips × Bartering × DRM × Dev Laptops × Databases × Frontity × More!
Aug 18th, 2021
Potluck - Moist code × Memoization × Ready for full-time? × Deadlines × Design ethics × React components × Video hosting × Local fonts × More!
Aug 4th, 2021
Potluck - WordPress × 3rd-Party Cloud Services × Backend Hosting × Drupal × Getting Clients × GPS vs BEM × More!
Aug 2nd, 2021
Hasty Treat - Git the Latest - New Things In Tech - CoPilot, Petite Vue, Stackblitz, Web3 + More!
Jul 21st, 2021
Potluck - Svelte × Bleeding-Edge Tech × Git Process × Screencasts × Government Jobs × Permissions-Based APIs × Rescript × More!
Jul 5th, 2021
Jun 28th, 2021
Jun 23rd, 2021
Potluck - Web components × Gear × Docker × Web Dev Frameworks × Golden Handcuffs × Browser Testing × SSR React × Code Prediction × More!
Jun 9th, 2021
Potluck - Immutability × Turning Off Your Brain × Types vs Interfaces × Hooks vs Components × Making the Most of Your First Job × Confidence in Svelte × More!
May 12th, 2021
Potluck — Freelancing × Leveraging your experience × Component size × Dealing with mediocrity × How to spend "extra time" × Rust vs Node × Free hosting? × More!
May 5th, 2021
Potluck — Is it worth it to still learn WordPress? × Is Safari the new IE11? × Mobile website testing × Pirated content × Styled components × SSGs × Transitioning to full-time freelance × More!
Apr 7th, 2021
Potluck — Video Hosting × Fake Names? × Portfolio Projects × Monorepos × APIs × TLDs × Recording Tips × More!
Mar 10th, 2021
Potluck — VSCode × Vercel vs Netlify × Models × Mutations × Multi-Vendor Platforms × Websites vs Web Apps × More!
Feb 17th, 2021
Potluck — Do titles matter? × Should clients pay for plugins? × Can I debug my baby? × How we prepare for Syntax × Deno × Learning things quickly × More!
Jan 20th, 2021
Potluck — $100k Dev Jobs × Sponsored Blog Posts × How To Keep Your Skills Up To Date × Libraries vs Custom × Dev Tools × More!
Jan 4th, 2021
Hasty Treat - Hyper Productivity with Keyboard Shortcuts + Window Management
Dec 23rd, 2020
Potluck — New Macs × Podcast Statistics × E-commerce Testing × WordPress × Charging More × Learning Web Dev × More!
Nov 25th, 2020
Potluck - Frameworks vs Libraries × Debugging × CSS Modules vs Styled Components × Resumes × Stress Management × More!
Oct 7th, 2020
Potluck - Is Angular good? × Stencil.js × Self XSS × SVGs in React × Social Platforms for Devs × Project Handoff × Cleaning Knives × More!
Sep 21st, 2020
Hasty Treat - Our First Bucks Made From Web Dev, Teaching, YouTube and Tutorials
Sep 9th, 2020
Tales from Webdev Past - Clearfix × Floats × Cufon × Guestbooks × PNG Fix × More!
Sep 2nd, 2020
Potluck - RIP Firefox? × Safari × Changing Careers × Regression Testing × Google Analytics Alternatives × Malicious Github Users? × Mac vs Windows × More!
Aug 26th, 2020
Potluck - MDX × Portfolio Projects × Code Commenting × CSS Properties × Reusable Components × More!
Aug 19th, 2020
Potluck - Subscriptions × ES Modules in Node × Chicken Thigh × Being a Good Dad × Refactoring × More!
Jul 27th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Target=_blank security issue? What's the deal with noopener and noreferrer?
Jul 22nd, 2020
Potluck - Beating Procrastination × Rollup vs Webpack × Leadership × Code Planning × Styled Components × More!
Jul 6th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Forms, Captchas, Honeypots, Dealing With Malicious Users and the Sad State of Contact Forms
Jun 24th, 2020
Potluck - Libraries vs Frameworks × Firefox × Career Advice For Teenagers × Who Would Win a Thumb War? × More!
Jun 17th, 2020
The Fundamentals Leftovers - Terminal, Shortcuts, View Source, Github + More!
May 27th, 2020
Potluck - Courses for Kids × Sub-Components × Recursion × DB Hosting × Frameworks × Data Structures & Algorithms × More!
Apr 29th, 2020
Potluck Part 2 - Magic GQLess × Are classes dead? × Custom Hooks × Staying Up To Date × CSS × More!
Apr 22nd, 2020
Potluck - Mobile First × Arrow Functions × Deno × JSON APIs × Refactoring Tips × More!
Apr 1st, 2020
Mental Health and Dev ft Dr. Courtney Tolinski - Depression, Anxiety, Imposter Syndrome, Focus, Motivation, Burnout
Mar 25th, 2020
Potluck - Bootcamps × Career Change × Figma × Gatsby × AMP × Mongoose × More!
Feb 26th, 2020
Potluck - Next vs Gatsby × Headless CMS × Vue.js × Is Ruby on Rails still good? × More!
Jan 29th, 2020
Potluck - Dev Culture Fit × Slack Communities × Vanilla JS × Backpacks × Raspberry Pi × More!
Jan 27th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Building A Community Slack, Discord, Spectrum, Discourse, Forums
Jan 20th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Picking the Stack for uses.tech - Gatsby, React, Context, Styled Components
Jan 1st, 2020
Potluck - Fonts × Frameworks × Teas × Coding Subscriptions × Client Work × More!
Dec 4th, 2019
Potluck - Tabs are better? × Coding Music × SEO × Is Angular good? × Biggie Smalls × Soy Sauce × More!
Nov 6th, 2019
Potluck - Gatsby vs Next × Is Google Home spying on you? × Flat File CMS × CSS Frameworks × Hosting Client Sites × More!
Oct 9th, 2019
Potluck - Terminal Configs × CSS Reset × Flexbox × Freelancing × NPM Dependencies × Project Hand-off × More!
Sep 18th, 2019
Potluck - Why Webpack? × Serverless × Agencies × Recruiters × CSS Grid × MQ in Styled Components
Aug 21st, 2019
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Jul 31st, 2019
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Jun 26th, 2019
Potluck - Career Switch at 33 × Cover Letters × Kids × Learning Quickly × More!
May 29th, 2019
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
May 1st, 2019
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Apr 3rd, 2019
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
Mar 6th, 2019
Potluck - Are classes dead? × Tutorials vs Real Life × CRA vs Next × Scraping × More
Mar 4th, 2019
Hasty Treat - Authentication - LocalStorage vs Cookies vs Sessions vs Tokens
Feb 27th, 2019
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Feb 6th, 2019
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Jan 10th, 2019
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Dec 19th, 2018
Potluck - Typescript × E-commerce platforms × Job-hopping × Working for agencies × more
Dec 17th, 2018
Hasty Treat - Where are they now?! Gulp, Grunt, Bower, Backbone and Compass
Nov 21st, 2018
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Oct 26th, 2018
Potluck - Working with designers × Is WordPress Crap? × When to stop working × More
Aug 29th, 2018
Potluck - Programming Languages × Soft Skills × PHP vs JS × Breakdancing x Spice Blends
Aug 1st, 2018
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Jul 24th, 2018
The Undocumented Web - scraping, private APIs, proxies and “alternative solutions”
Jul 18th, 2018
Advice For Beginners - Tech Skills, Applying for Jobs, Focus, Imposter Syndrome + More
Jul 4th, 2018
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
May 9th, 2018
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Apr 18th, 2018
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Feb 7th, 2018
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Jan 31st, 2018
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Jan 24th, 2018
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Nov 29th, 2017
What's New in CSS? Variables, Scoping, New Selectors and Color Functions
Nov 1st, 2017
22 Buzz Words Explained — Mutations, Pure Functions , Serverless, Hoisting, MVC + More
Oct 18th, 2017
Tasty Treats — Rems VS Ems, Remote Work, Making Money, Getting good at Design + more! 🍬
Mar 13th, 2019
Bootcamps vs School vs Self-learning👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
In this episode Wes and Scott talk about developer education — what to look for, what to avoid, and how to be a life-long learner with good problem solving skills.
Sanity.io - Sponsor
Sanity.io is a real-time headless CMS with a fully customizable Content Studio built in React. Get up and running by typing
npm i -g @sanity/cli && sanity init in your command line. Get an awesome supercharged free developer plan on sanity.io/syntax.
The Armoury - Sponsor
The Armoury is a men's clothing and accessories retailer that provides some of the highest quality clothing you can buy. Designed for those of you who want the highest quality clothing that feels great and will last forever. Buy less, buy better. Follow them on Instagram @thearmourynyc and check out their website TheArmoury.com.
3:59 - Our experiences
- Went to college - Go Blue!
- Worked odd jobs while self teaching
- Was mentored and taught more while working at my first job
- Self directed since then
- Started teaching via LUT in 2012
- Went to university for Business Tech - entirely self-taught
- Led and created part-time HTML + CSS program at HackerYou
- Led and created first bootcamp at HackerYou
- Led and created first JS part-time at HackerYou
- Been offered jobs at colleges + universities
10:02 - School - $$$
- The best thing about school was unrestricted free time to find out what I enjoyed, which lead me to coding
- Co-ops can help you find what you like and what you don't like
- Life skills that involve you being on your own and figuring things out more
- You are exposed to interesting people and ideas
- CS Degree work can open more career doors
- Professional networking
- Many companies wont hire you without some sort of bachelor's degree (this might change)
- Not everyone has the time or money to devote two to five years to school — especially to something they might not end up enjoying
- Potentially outdated staff and course material
- Wes was often asked to lead a video editing course, print design course and a web development course
- Lot's of distractions
23:10 - Bootcamp - $$
- Very fast, lots of info, but can be a bit overwhelming
- You can get up-to-speed extremely quickly
- Focused on hire-ability and job-ready skills
- Focused information
- Personality is really the deciding factor here - lots of people do well, and some don't
- Hit or miss — quality of bootcamps aren't vetted, so do your research
- Talk to someone who took it, find out who the instructors are
- You absolutely must continue learning after the bootcamp
- The bootcamp is just a push and you are expected to continue learning once you are done
- Not great for individuals that can't handle the pace
- You have to quit your job
37:09 - Self-Taught - $
- Self-directed people will prevail here
- Can be drip-fed while earning money at another job
- Can be supplemented by a job (e.g. you are front-end and want to go full stack)
- Can get real world experience as a freelancer while you evolve
- Not for everyone
- Can be difficult to self-motivate
- Hard to get help - sometimes you can be stuck for hours on a two-second fix
- Potentially discouraging
- You might go down the wrong path without guidance on what you should learn
47:11 - Part Time Programs - $
- Fantastic way to get up to speed with a new tech
- Goes at a good pace - twice a week usually
- Offered on weekends and evenings where you can maintain a regular job
- Very low risk - you can try it out
- Might not be as fast as you like it
- Quality is all over the map
49:55 - Mentored Self Learning - $
- Best to do with a mentor on the job
- Mentor can help steer what to learn in your free time
- Good feedback and a place to ask lots of questions
- Can't be done without someone willing to mentor you
- Only as good as your mentor
52:55 - What approach would we take?
- Bootcamp > then immediately supplement with courses