In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes talk about the "fundamentals" of web development and what you need to know - HTML, CSS foundations and more!
Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what's happening with your errors, track them with Sentry. Sentry is open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time. Cut your time on error resolution from five hours to five minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners can get two months for free by visiting Sentry and using the coupon code "tastytreat".
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at Freshbooks and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
1:54 - Learning fundamentals vs framework specialists
- Learning vs getting a job
- Abstractions work well until they don't and you need to debug them
7:58 - Semantic markup
9:15 - Accessibility basics
9:57 - Attributes
16:13 - Specificity
22:42 - Selectors
24:52 - Layouts
27:53 - Box model
32:50 - Positioning
36:42 - Forms and inputs
40:45 - Block vs inline vs inline-block
43:09 - Sizing units
44:40 - Typography
47:53 - Media Queries
- Interviewing candidates with a lack of fundamentals - Tweet
- Jean-Philippe Sirois Tweet
- Syntax 72: Accessibility
- Syntax 107: Hasty Treat - CSS Units
××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××
- Scott's new course - "Debugging and Dev Tools"
- Wes' courses - Use the coupon code 'Syntax' for $10 off!