Playing: 106: A Look Forward to 2019
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Jan 2nd, 2019
A Look Forward to 2019👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
In this episode Wes and Scott take a look back at 2018 as well as a look forward to what's coming in 2019.
Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what's happening with your errors, track them with Sentry. Sentry is open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time. Cut your time on error resolution from five hours to five minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code "tastytreat".
CSS In Depth and In Motion - Sponsor
Electron in Action from Manning Publications guides you, step-by-step, as you learn to build cross-platform desktop applications that run on Windows, OSX, and Linux. As a Syntax listener, you can get 40% off all their books and courses by visiting deals.manning.com/webdev and using the coupon code syntax40 at checkout.
3:00 - What was hot in 2018?
- Tooling got easier
- GraphQL got easier and more accessible
- New GraphQL companies left and right
- CSS has gotten more awesome
- Improvement in React Dev Tools
- Edge adopting Chrome engine
- Microsoft bought Github
- Vue continues to impress and evolve
- VS Code continued to get amazing
31:29 - Predictions for 2019
- Headless CMS game is going to get really real
- React will continue to see growth
- Design tools will get more code-y (Figma, etc.)
- VueJS will continue to see growth
- Developer Experience Tools will continue to get easier
- Code splitting easier
- ES6 Modules in Node
- Server Side Hot reloading
41:00 - Scott's Year in Review
- Released 12 courses
- Major growth in Level Up as a platform
- Hired first employees to work and grow site
- Greatly improved quality and video production
- Gave first conf talks and spoke internationally
44:03 - Wes' Year in Review
- Released two courses - CSS Grid and Advanced React
- Delegated lots of development to contractor
- Continued to work well with assistant
- Spoke at lots of confs
- Live Syntax!
- Grew Instagram
- Continued hot tips on twitter
47:00 - BIG ANNOUNCEMENT
- We're both having babies!
48:09 - Wes' Goals for 2019
- Keep doing what I'm doing!
- New Website!
- Platform upgrades - been in the works for months - working on a faster rollout
- CSS course? VS Code course? More React?
- 8 YouTube Videos
- Instagram to 30k
- Parental Leave
52:26 - Scott's Goals for 2019
- First non-Scott LUT courses (big plans / announcements here )
- Parental Leave
- Major platform updates that are stuck in bottleneck
- More hires, more growth
- More free content
- More teaching from real world code
- Codebase to Hooks & Suspense
- VS Code
- Microsoft Edge
- Syntax 067: Goal Setting