Playing: 086: Potluck - Working with designers × Is WordPress Crap? × When to stop working × More
Apr 1st, 2020
Mental Health and Dev ft Dr. Courtney Tolinski - Depression, Anxiety, Imposter Syndrome, Focus, Motivation, Burnout
Mar 25th, 2020
Potluck - Bootcamps × Career Change × Figma × Gatsby × AMP × Mongoose × More!
Feb 26th, 2020
Potluck - Next vs Gatsby × Headless CMS × Vue.js × Is Ruby on Rails still good? × More!
Jan 29th, 2020
Potluck - Dev Culture Fit × Slack Communities × Vanilla JS × Backpacks × Raspberry Pi × More!
Jan 27th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Building A Community Slack, Discord, Spectrum, Discourse, Forums
Jan 20th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Picking the Stack for uses.tech - Gatsby, React, Context, Styled Components
Jan 1st, 2020
Potluck - Fonts × Frameworks × Teas × Coding Subscriptions × Client Work × More!
Dec 4th, 2019
Potluck - Tabs are better? × Coding Music × SEO × Is Angular good? × Biggie Smalls × Soy Sauce × More!
Nov 6th, 2019
Potluck - Gatsby vs Next × Is Google Home spying on you? × Flat File CMS × CSS Frameworks × Hosting Client Sites × More!
Oct 9th, 2019
Potluck - Terminal Configs × CSS Reset × Flexbox × Freelancing × NPM Dependencies × Project Hand-off × More!
Sep 18th, 2019
Potluck - Why Webpack? × Serverless × Agencies × Recruiters × CSS Grid × MQ in Styled Components
Aug 21st, 2019
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Jul 31st, 2019
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Jun 26th, 2019
Potluck - Career Switch at 33 × Cover Letters × Kids × Learning Quickly × More!
May 29th, 2019
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
May 1st, 2019
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Apr 3rd, 2019
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
Mar 6th, 2019
Potluck - Are classes dead? × Tutorials vs Real Life × CRA vs Next × Scraping × More
Mar 4th, 2019
Hasty Treat - Authentication - LocalStorage vs Cookies vs Sessions vs Tokens
Feb 27th, 2019
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Feb 6th, 2019
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Jan 10th, 2019
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Dec 19th, 2018
Potluck - Typescript × E-commerce platforms × Job-hopping × Working for agencies × more
Dec 17th, 2018
Hasty Treat - Where are they now?! Gulp, Grunt, Bower, Backbone and Compass
Nov 21st, 2018
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Aug 29th, 2018
Potluck - Programming Languages × Soft Skills × PHP vs JS × Breakdancing x Spice Blends
Aug 1st, 2018
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Jul 24th, 2018
The Undocumented Web - scraping, private APIs, proxies and “alternative solutions”
Jul 18th, 2018
Advice For Beginners - Tech Skills, Applying for Jobs, Focus, Imposter Syndrome + More
Jul 4th, 2018
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
May 9th, 2018
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Apr 18th, 2018
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Feb 7th, 2018
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Jan 31st, 2018
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Jan 24th, 2018
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Nov 29th, 2017
What's New in CSS? Variables, Scoping, New Selectors and Color Functions
Nov 1st, 2017
22 Buzz Words Explained — Mutations, Pure Functions , Serverless, Hoisting, MVC + More
Oct 18th, 2017
Tasty Treats — Rems VS Ems, Remote Work, Making Money, Getting good at Design + more! 🍬
Oct 26th, 2018
Potluck - Working with designers × Is WordPress Crap? × When to stop working × More👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
It's another potluck episode in which Wes and Scott answer your questions! This month - working with designers, criticisms of WordPress, avoiding burnout, time management, and more.
Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what's happening with your errors, track them with Sentry. Sentry is open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time. Cut your time on error resolution from five hours to five minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code "tastytreat".
.tech Domains - Sponsor
Finding a great domain name is tough with so many names already taken. If you're looking for a domain name for your startup, side project, or anything at all, check out .tech Domains. Syntax listeners can get 90% off both one-year, five-year and ten-year registration by visiting go.tech/syntax and using the coupon code "syntax".
5:05 - How can you help a designer understand how styling works and how layouts work in the web? In other words: How do I explain my boundaries as a front-end developer to a designer?
- Work closely with the designer
- Allow the designer to push your limits
- You can help them understand by:
- Showing them poor performing websites
- Showing them things that usually are taxing on the GPU to paint - rotations, background images, drop shadows, etc.
- Don’t be afraid to let a tough design push your boundaries
13:23 - How do you manage your time for learning new things when you have children and a daily full-time job?
- Those who figure out how to make it a priority will win out
- Family first - talk to your spouse
- Ask your boss for time to learn and grow
- Find ways to get paid for learning
19:45 - How do you deal with burnout in this constantly evolving front end tech ecosystem?
- Make time for hobbies away from the computer
- Do projects just for fun
- Solve your own problems
- Syntax 035: Keeping Up with the Codeashians
- Syntax 041: Preventing and Dealing with Burnout in Web Development
25:00 - Do you code at night (past 9pm)?
- Start your wind-down time earlier
- Let your brain wok on problems while you sleep
- Get it out of your head
- Listen to podcasts, audiobooks, etc.
29:23 - How do you compress your videos/audio for your courses/tutorials?
- Handbrake Fast 1080
- Use presets
- Output from video editor, rip from YouTube, or compress directly from video editor
33:10 - It seems like in the web dev community, a lot of people give WordPress crap. Any idea why?
- WordPress is dope - people just like to complain.
- WordPress is often one of the first things people learn and have bad memories of it
- It's easy to write bad code with WordPress
- It can be slow
- It can attract a certain type of developer
33:10 - What are some of the biggest mistakes that people make when they are learning programming and what's the best way to overcome them?
- Don't focus on too many things
- Don't worry about picking the right technology
- Focus on the fundamentals
- Let your curiosity and excitement drive you
- Celebrate wins
40:29 - What are your best tips for writing documentation?
- Start with basic API documentation, them move to more "article style" docs
- Use tools like CodeSandbox and Swagger
- Syntax 073: Reading Documentation
43:08 - What are some good questions or techniques to better understand a client's requirements?
- How does your business work right now?
- What are people coming to the website for?
- Questionnaires are good - they get people thinking
- It’s your job to understand what a client want out of a website - what problems they have and need solved
45:38 - Do you guys have any tips for taking over maintenance and development of existing websites where the previous developer is no longer reachable?
- Take time to asses the codebase before writing anything
- Learn what’s there any and why
- Don't start ripping out code without understanding what's really going on
- Don't leave it worse than you found it
- It depends on the stack, but it's probably worth giving it an honest go before re-writing the whole thing
××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××