Playing: 035: Keeping Up with the Codeashians. Dealing with our fast paced industry.
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Mar 7th, 2018
Keeping Up with the Codeashians. Dealing with our fast paced industry.👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
Scott and Wes talk about how to deal with being overwhelmed with our fast paced industry. How do you keep you and your team's skills up to date?
Wes' Note: Scott came up with the title for this one. I know.
Netlify — Sponsor
Netlify is the best way to deploy and host a front-end website. All the features developers need right out of the box: Global CDN, Continuous Deployment, one click HTTPS and more. Hit up netlify.com/syntax for more info.
They are also hiring! netlify.com/careers
Freshbooks - Sponsor
If you are a small business or freelancer check out Freshbooks.com Cloud Accounting and get 30 days free. Make sure to enter SYNTAX into the "How did you hear about us" section.
- Scott is 32! Happy Birthday
- Wes Relaunched his React for Beginners course!
- That feeling
- Being okay with not knowing everything
- How to wait it out
- When you should jump into a library
- 1.0 of libraries
- Just In Time learning
- Doubling down on the fundamentals
- What is JAM Stack?
- Why do you need to stay up to date?
- Moving or Losing Jobs
- Comfy Chairs
- Hipster Web Developers
- Someone think of the customers!
- Technical Debt
- Falling in love with web development again
- Constantly challenging yourself
- Complacency in Web Devleopment
- Motivating Comfortable Web Developers
- You have to stay up to date
- Working on the weekends
- Real Talk: part of your job is staying up to date
- How to find time to learn on the clock
- Adding new tech to projects as a way to learn
- What if your senior developer is holding back progress?
- How to convince your team or boss that you aren't just a hipster and this new tech is worth it
- Show them the why!
- Okay, I want to stay up to date. How?
- Strong handle on fundamentals
- WebDev Reddit
- NodeJS is Cancer
- Kitze's LOL Tweet
- Lunch and Learns