Playing: 150: Gatsby Themes
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Jun 5th, 2019
Gatsby Themes👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes talk with Jason Lengstorf from the Gatsby team about Gatsby themes, and the future of Gatsby in general.
LogRocket - Sponsor
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It's an exception tracker, a session re-player and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free at LogRocket.
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at Freshbook and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
2:18 - Jason Lengstorf - What do you do?
9:37 - Gatsby refresher
- Gatsby is statically generated
gatsby-config.jsfile determines which plugins you use
gatsby-node.jsallows us to hook into Gatsby at different points and do things like source content and dynamically create pages
gatsby-browser.jscontains code that should hook into browser events
13:54 - Gatsby themes
- Layouts in Gatsby are done the same way in React - simply create a component with children
- How is this different than a plugin?
- Is it a collection of plugins?
- How do you share themes?
- Can they include functionality (plugins?) Like Markdown rendering?
- What about a theme that needs a UI once activated?
- What about custom fields for Gatsby?
- Do you foresee a marketplace like WordPress themes?
- Are there some themes already out there?
- What will come for themes soon?
34:07 - Questions about Gatsby
- What do you think about WordPress?
- How do you make money?
- Suggested way of doing dynamic things
- What is the future of Gatsby?
- Jason Lengstorf
- Progressive Disclosure of Complexity
- Gatsby Themes
- Gatsby + Sanity.io
- Hope in Source - Henry Zhiu
××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××
- Jason: Kamado Joe Grill
- Scott: Zojirushi Hybrid Water Boiler and Warmer
- Wes: Waterproof Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer