In this Hasty Treat, Scott and Wes talk about how to give a killer workshop, as well as benefits and best practices!
Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what's happening with your errors, track them with Sentry. Sentry is open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time. Cut your time on error resolution from five hours to five minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners can get two months for free by visiting Sentry and using the coupon code "tastytreat".
3:00 - Types of workshops
4:29 - Choosing a topic
- Create original content
- Create custom content for companies
5:55 - Building content
- Choose seven to eight different little things
- Progressive web apps
- Build a single application throughout the day, introducing a new feature or two at a time and then implementing it into your own application
- Gatsby website
- React Beer application
- React Notes Application
- Build the app
- Rewind back to starter files
- Build it again while writing notes
- Follow your own notes to see if it makes sense
13:25 - General information
- How long should it be?
- Fixed price vs split cost
- How many people?
16:46 - Other Tips:
- Break away from your app and show other apps using - gives better context
- Stop often and ask if anyone needs help
- Give large breaks
- Give challenges for those who need more to do