In this episode of Syntax, Wes and Scott talk about their coding styles - functional vs object oriented, interfaces vs types, tabs vs spaces, should comments exist? And a whole lot more.
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax
Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what’s happening with your code, track errors and monitor performance with Sentry. Sentry’s Application Monitoring platform helps developers see performance issues, fix errors faster, and optimize their code health. Cut your time on error resolution from hours to minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners new to Sentry can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code TASTYTREAT during sign up.
Sanity - Sponsor
Sanity.io is a real-time headless CMS with a fully customizable Content Studio built in React. Get a Sanity powered site up and running in minutes at sanity.io/create. Get an awesome supercharged free developer plan on sanity.io/syntax.
- 00:07 Welcome
- 01:56 Functional vs object oriented
- 03:49 Interfaces vs types
- 05:38 Tabs vs spaces
- 07:02 Semicolons vs no semicolons
- 08:10 Let vs const
- 09:33 Do you explicitly type or allow TypeScript do it's magic?
- 11:26 Naming variables
- Naming convention for programming
- 15:13 Methods of looping
- 18:03 if statement curlys
- 20:57 Naming files
- 24:46 Inline testing vs running test as a process
- 25:31 Sponsor: Freshbooks
- 26:37 CSS property:val; or property: val;
- 27:40 CSS nesting?
- 29:49 Alphabetizing CSS properties
- 31:11 Rems, Ems, PX, Etc…
- 33:37 How do you center something in CSS?
- 35:22 How do you make something 100% height?
- 36:52 Sponsor: Sentry
- 37:30 Should comments exist?
- Better Comments
- Wes’ custom parser for VS Code
- Todo Tree
- 42:31 Creating HTML
- 45:28 Components in app or in isolation?
- 47:41 Sponsor: Sanity
- 48:45 Single component per file vs multiple
- 50:22 Naming components
- 51:19 General stuff
- 53:55 ××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××
××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××
- Scott: Scott's iPad case for kids
- Wes: Garbage can with custom bags.