In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes talk about ways they troubleshoot issues with their code.
LogRocket - Sponsor
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It's an exception tracker, a session re-player and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free at logrocket.com/syntax.
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
Mux - Sponsor
Mux Video is an API-first platform that makes it easy for any developer to build beautiful video. Powered by data and designed by video experts, your video will work perfectly on every device, every time. Mux Video handles storage, encoding, and delivery so you can focus on building your product. Live streaming is just as easy and Mux will scale with you as you grow, whether you're serving a few dozen streams or a few million. Visit mux.com/syntax.
- @jimbomoso - Do you know of any resources for developing/improving code trouble shooting?
- 01:13 Furniture shortages
- 02:29 Managing stuff
- 03:05 Basic troubleshooting skills are missing
- 06:09 Sanity check
- 08:05 Isolate the issue
- 08:57 Commenting out code is free
- 12:17 Replicate the issue
- 15:07 Svelte and VS Code error
- VS Code
- 17:02 Wes' course upgrades
- Parcel 2
- Patch package
- 18:07 Sponsor: Logrocket
- 19:15 Rollback
- 20:30 Reading the error message
- Syntax 47 - How to Get Better at Debugging
- Syntax 152 - Debugging Tools
- 23:59 Crack open the node modules directory
- 26:06 Sponsor: Freshbooks
- 27:29 Write step by step comments to the code
- 29:01 Consider outside sources
- 30:56 Using the right tools for the job
- 33:19 Rubber ducking it
- 34:16 Wes' Big Mouth Bass story
- 37:20 Scott's blown away by his leaf blower
- 39:56 Copy paste a message into Google
- Twitter - What are your tips for troubleshooting code or a system that doesn't work?
- 41:33 Logs and metrics
- 42:36 CI CD issues and Error Handler
- 43:41 Using a step debugger
- 44:24 Explain what's happening to someone else
- 45:31 Read the documentation
- 47:05 Take a break, have a cuppa
- 48:42 Sponsor: Mux
- 50:57 SIIIIICK PIIICKS
- 57:05 Shamless plugs
××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××
- Scott: Astro Course - Sign up for the year and save 25%!
- Wes: All Courses - Use the coupon code 'Syntax' for $10 off!