In this Hasty Treat, Scott and Wes talk about their experience upgrading Syntax.fm and some of the site's big changes.
LogRocket - Sponsor
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It's an exception tracker, a session re-player and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free at logrocket.com/syntax.
02:26 - The old Syntax site
- Custom server for
- API - shows, Latest shows, sick picks
- On-demand page builds
- Custom routing
06:41 - The new Syntax site
- Next.js has solved those things now, no need for a custom server.
- API Routes
- On-demand page builds: SSG with Next.js. It's a server, but caches the page builds. Releasing the shows happens with revalidation. It's statically generated like Gatsby, but you can also choose
- Custom routing is now done with [pages]
- Very fast to load
- Very fast to build
- Very fast to deploy
- It's now a "dynamic static site"
- Zeit Now 1 to "Vercel"
- Huge thanks to Tim Neutkens and Luis Alvarez from Vercel for making it happen.
13:23 - Why not:
- Entire site would need to be regenerated exactly at 9am eastern
- API of the site would need to be done with something else like Netlify Functions - not nearly as nice as Next API routes