In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes talk about the future of video for the web!
Sanity - Sponsor
Sanity.io is a real-time headless CMS with a fully customizable Content Studio built in React. Get a Sanity powered site up and running in minutes at sanity.io/create. Get an awesome supercharged free developer plan on sanity.io/syntax.
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
08:19 - Scott's Background in video
- Started editing in middle school
- Worked professionally as an editor and production assistant for magazine
- Created specialty flash video players
- Have been hosting video content since the start of my web career
09:12 - Terminology
- Transcoding - digital to digital conversion of one format to another
- Ingest - bringing a video to a new facility (ie uploaded video file or data stream to server)
10:51 - Streaming vs Downloading
- Streaming is basically chunks of content at a time, while download is waiting for the entire file to be downloaded before playing.
11:16 - Formats
- HLS (HTTP Live Streaming)
21:35 - Players
- shaka-player - https://github.com/google/shaka-player/
- hls.js - https://hls-js.netlify.app/demo/
- dash.js - https://github.com/Dash-Industry-Forum/dash.js
- video.js - https://videojs.com/
- jw player - https://www.jwplayer.com/
- Bit Movin player - https://bitmovin.com/docs/player
- Ooyala Brightcove - https://www.brightcove.com/en/
27:48 - Services Roundup 🐴
- YouTube - free
- Vimeo - $
- MUX - $$
- Wistia - $$$$
- Cloudflare - $$
- JW Player - $
- Cloudinary - $$$
- Brightcove - $$$
- Azure - $$
- Bit Movin - $$
- AWS - $$
46:59 - What Scott did and how/why
- Custom uploader
- Using polling
- HLS Can I Use
- Syntax Ep 254: Headless CMS Break Down & Roundup
- Framer Motion
××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××
- Scott: CSS Variables Course - Sign up for the year and save 25%!
- Wes: All Courses - Use the coupon code 'Syntax' for $10 off!