In this Hasty Treat, Scott and Wes continue their discussion of website page speed — five more things that make your site slow!
Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what's happening with your errors, track them with Sentry. Sentry is open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time. Cut your time on error resolution from five hours to five minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code "tastytreat".
03:01 - Shipping too much JS
- Code splitting
- Webpack Bundle Analyzer
- Look at dependencies of libraries
- Use fewer libraries
06:38 - Not bundling code
- Build process
08:24 - Not compressing code
- Google Closure Compiler
- Gzip via your server serving assets
- Minify CSS + JS
11:45 - Loading JS asynchronously
- Where should I put script tags in HTML markup?
- Solution: Lazy load JS as needed
- Solution: Show HTML first, load JS in the footer
- Solution: Use Async + Defer
16:42 - Missing indexes on DB
- What is a DB index?
- Where should you add them?
- MongoDB Compass