Playing: 110: Tips for Work Life Balance
Hasty Treat - Picking the Stack for uses.tech - Gatsby, React, Context, Styled Components
Potluck - Tabs are better? × Coding Music × SEO × Is Angular good? × Biggie Smalls × Soy Sauce × More!
Potluck - Gatsby vs Next × Is Google Home spying on you? × Flat File CMS × CSS Frameworks × Hosting Client Sites × More!
Potluck - Terminal Configs × CSS Reset × Flexbox × Freelancing × NPM Dependencies × Project Hand-off × More!
Potluck - Why Webpack? × Serverless × Agencies × Recruiters × CSS Grid × MQ in Styled Components
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Jan 16th, 2019
Tips for Work Life Balance👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
In this episode Scott and Wes talk about work life balance. These tips aren't hard-and-fast - part of the beauty of being a web developer is that you do get to enjoy some flexibility. Work is a big part of our live and these are tips that will hopefully allow you to get the most enjoyment out of both work and life.
Sanity.io - Sponsor
Sanity.io is a real-time headless CMS with a fully customizable Content Studio built in React. Get up and running by typing
npm i -g @sanity/cli && sanity init in your command line. Get an awesome supercharged free developer plan on sanity.io/syntax.
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
8:06 - Know when you work best
- The 9-5 isn't for everyone - you know when you work best, so use that to your advantage
9:39 - Work when it's time to work, life when it's time to life
- Don't do laundry during work time
11:08 - Make it clear to family members when you are working
- Wishy-washy in-between can cause tension - are you working? Can I interrupt you?
- Working after hours
- Text if you need me
14:34 - Have a defined space for work
- If I bring my laptop downstairs, I don't bring a charger
- Clean yo nasty desk space
- It's a mental shift when you sit down - "okay now I am working"
21:14 - Know how to "zone it"
- Music or podcasts
- Block all distractions
- Close email
- Pay attention to what gets you there, when it stops working, change it up
24:46 - Keep hobbies
- Away from screens
- Physical or relaxing or both
26:37 - Exercise
- Good for mind and body
- Huge gains long term and short term
27:31 - Prioritize your to-do list
- One reason many people over-work is that they feel they have too much to do
- Add items to your to-do list when they pop into your head - out of your head, into your system
31:28 - Walk away from difficult problems
- Your brain will chew on problems as time goes on and help you solve them
- Literally take a walk outside
34:04 - Meetups, conferences or tutorials
- Reinvigorate your hunger for coding and make you happier both at home and work
- Easy to get burned out from working too much (or not paying enough attention to your work)
- Wes' Head Bob Spotify playlist
- Portable Text from Sanity
- Portable Text
- Forget about Gutenberg, no seriously
- What you need to know about block text