Playing: 070: Potluck - Programming Languages × Soft Skills × PHP vs JS × Breakdancing x Spice Blends
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Aug 29th, 2018
Potluck - Programming Languages × Soft Skills × PHP vs JS × Breakdancing x Spice Blends👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
It's another potluck episode in which Wes and Scott answer your questions! This month - programming languages, how to practice soft skills, PHP vs JS, is it every too late to become a developer, and more.
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
Mlab - Sponsor
mLab is the leading Database-as-a-Service for MongoDB, powering over half a million deployments worldwide. Wes and Scott use mLab to host their own databases as well as take care of backups, security, scaling and performance. Try out a sandbox database on your next mongoDB project → https://mlab.com.
- Why don't you work with Typescript?
- How do you recommend working with APIs/libraries that compete with the DOM (e.g. d3 + react, react + google maps)?
- What is meant by the word "state" when referring to Vue or React?
- How do you practice and get better at "soft skills" (e.g. burnout, freelancing, time management, confrontation)?
- Syntax 025 - Dealing with email overload
- PaperKarma - The App to Stop Junk Mail
- Do you guys use different environments (e.g. "QA" and "Prod")? What are some best practices?
- Semaphore - Test and deploy your code
- Sentry - Open-source error tracking
- As someone trying to break into the field of programming, should you build everything from scratch, or it ok to use plugins and libraries?
- What would WordPress be like if it were built on Node and GraphQL?
- How do you handle high level page layout when using styled components?
- As a junior dev, should I switch from PHP and Laravel to full stack JS? I love PHP, but JS is taking over.