Playing: 058: Advice For Beginners - Tech Skills, Applying for Jobs, Focus, Imposter Syndrome + More
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Jul 18th, 2018
Advice For Beginners - Tech Skills, Applying for Jobs, Focus, Imposter Syndrome + More👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
Scott and Wes give their best advice for beginners, including tech skills, applying for jobs, focus, imposter syndrome, and more...
Coffeecup's CSS Grid Builder Tool — Sponsor
Check out Coffeecup's CSS Grid.cc builder tool and resources to learn, prototype and build next gen layouts with CSS Grid!
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
4:46 - Advice for gaining new skills
- Patience and momentum are key
- You likely won’t get anywhere significant in two months
- Think about where you want to be in five years
- Start small
- Start with was excites you and let that drive your exploration
- Start writing code ASAP. Don't worry about the right way, just get started.
17:15 - Advice for applying to jobs
- Apply for everything. Failing an interview is no big deal.
- Each interview is an opportunity to gain experience
- Putting yourself out there is huge - one blog post, YouTube video, or open source project will put you miles ahead
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset - you can negotiate money, hardware, vacation time, flexible schedule, etc. Don’t just google “average salary”
- Negotiate salaries and perks.
29:32 - Advice for knowing what to focus on
- What gets you jazzed? Find something cool and figure out how to recreate it.
- Find a problem and figure out how to solve it - build real things.
- Don’t focus on tech - tech is just a tool.
38:32 - Advice for impostor syndrome
- Listen to this podcast! ;)
- Almost everyone has it.
- Don’t worry about other people’s progress.
- You don't need to know how to do everything, but you should be able to figure out how to learn.
46:45 - Misc advice
- Evaluate things for yourself - don't blindly follow the loudest voices on the internet
- Focus on soft skills as well - time management, communication
- Get a mentor
- Health and Hobbies - don't let yourself burnout