In this supper club episode of Syntax, Wes and Scott talk with Jared Sumner about why and how he created Bun, what Zig is, and the future of Bun.
Tuple - Sponsor
This week’s sponsor is Tuple, an app built specifically for remote pair programming. The app is written in C++ and tuned for high-resolution screen sharing and low-latency remote control. Because developers deserve better than Zoom or Meet for pairing. Tuple.app.
- 00:37 Welcome
- 01:44 Who is Jared Sumner?
- Jarred Sumner on Twitter
- Bun Discord
- Bun on GitHub
- 02:31 Why did you make Bun?
- 09:43 Using web API vs Node modules?
- 13:25 Do we still use npm?
- 15:42 Support for HTML Rewriter
- 16:46 Where do you see Bun being used?
- 19:25 Do you think someone will write a type checker?
- 21:18 Sponsor: Tuple
- 22:07 What is Zig?
- 24:57 Did you have a history of learning languages?
- 28:16 Have you ever thought of putting Bun on hardware?
- 29:59 Is there a package.json file in Bun projects?
- 31:34 What can't Node just get faster?
- 32:16 What is the future of Bun?
- 41:16 Why did you build an SQLite client into Bun?
- 42:54 Supper Club questions
- 48:52 SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××