In this episode of Syntax, Wes and Scott answer your questions about whether you should use emoji in naming grid elements, how to estimate project times, responsive design tips, animating gradient backgrounds, and more.
Linode - Sponsor
Whether you’re working on a personal project or managing enterprise infrastructure, you deserve simple, affordable, and accessible cloud computing solutions that allow you to take your project to the next level. Simplify your cloud infrastructure with Linode’s Linux virtual machines and develop, deploy, and scale your modern applications faster and easier. Get started on Linode today with a $100 in free credit for listeners of Syntax. You can find all the details at linode.com/syntax. Linode has 11 global data centers and provides 24/7/365 human support with no tiers or hand-offs regardless of your plan size. In addition to shared and dedicated compute instances, you can use your $100 in credit on S3-compatible object storage, Managed Kubernetes, and more. Visit linode.com/syntax and click on the “Create Free Account” button to get started.
LogRocket - Sponsor
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It's an exception tracker, a session re-player and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free at logrocket.com/syntax.
Sanity - Sponsor
Sanity.io is a real-time headless CMS with a fully customizable Content Studio built in React. Get a Sanity powered site up and running in minutes at sanity.io/create. Get an awesome supercharged free developer plan on sanity.io/syntax.
- 00:10 Welcome
- 01:22 Shooting some pucks at the football game
- 04:06 Should we use emoji naming conventions for our grid template areas instead of just words?
- Screenshot of Grid question
- 08:38 How do you estimate a reliable timeline for a project?
- 12:18 Do you think about sustainable web development?
- 16:24 What kind of tips and tricks around responsive design do you have?
- 18:22 Sponsor: Linode
- 18:55 How would you go about documenting your achievements throughout your career to reflect on during interviews and employee reviews?
- 23:33 How do you plan long term for projects or goals?
- Forever Jobless Goals worksheet
- 28:22 Can you please make a fundamentals episode that only cares about clarifying the terms everyone assume to be well known to even beginner devs?
- 22 Buzzwords Explained
- 31:01 Sponsor: LogRocket
- 32:20 How would one go about animating a gradient background based on mouse movement?
- 38:13 Is there any way using the children API to render the close button and menu items in different locations in the menu component?
- @Luke_lafr come on the show!
- 42:04 Where should I begin with design systems?
- 48:10 Sponsor: Sanity
- 49:24 Is JSON always safe?
- 55:01 SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××