Playing: 308: Gatsby vs Next.js in 2021
Jan 4th, 2021
Hasty Treat - Hyper Productivity with Keyboard Shortcuts + Window Management
Dec 23rd, 2020
Potluck — New Macs × Podcast Statistics × E-commerce Testing × WordPress × Charging More × Learning Web Dev × More!
Nov 25th, 2020
Potluck - Frameworks vs Libraries × Debugging × CSS Modules vs Styled Components × Resumes × Stress Management × More!
Oct 7th, 2020
Potluck - Is Angular good? × Stencil.js × Self XSS × SVGs in React × Social Platforms for Devs × Project Handoff × Cleaning Knives × More!
Sep 21st, 2020
Hasty Treat - Our First Bucks Made From Web Dev, Teaching, YouTube and Tutorials
Sep 9th, 2020
Tales from Webdev Past - Clearfix × Floats × Cufon × Guestbooks × PNG Fix × More!
Sep 2nd, 2020
Potluck - RIP Firefox? × Safari × Changing Careers × Regression Testing × Google Analytics Alternatives × Malicious Github Users? × Mac vs Windows × More!
Aug 26th, 2020
Potluck - MDX × Portfolio Projects × Code Commenting × CSS Properties × Reusable Components × More!
Aug 19th, 2020
Potluck - Subscriptions × ES Modules in Node × Chicken Thigh × Being a Good Dad × Refactoring × More!
Jul 27th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Target=_blank security issue? What's the deal with noopener and noreferrer?
Jul 22nd, 2020
Potluck - Beating Procrastination × Rollup vs Webpack × Leadership × Code Planning × Styled Components × More!
Jul 6th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Forms, Captchas, Honeypots, Dealing With Malicious Users and the Sad State of Contact Forms
Jun 24th, 2020
Potluck - Libraries vs Frameworks × Firefox × Career Advice For Teenagers × Who Would Win a Thumb War? × More!
Jun 17th, 2020
The Fundamentals Leftovers - Terminal, Shortcuts, View Source, Github + More!
May 27th, 2020
Potluck - Courses for Kids × Sub-Components × Recursion × DB Hosting × Frameworks × Data Structures & Algorithms × More!
Apr 29th, 2020
Potluck Part 2 - Magic GQLess × Are classes dead? × Custom Hooks × Staying Up To Date × CSS × More!
Apr 22nd, 2020
Potluck - Mobile First × Arrow Functions × Deno × JSON APIs × Refactoring Tips × More!
Apr 1st, 2020
Mental Health and Dev ft Dr. Courtney Tolinski - Depression, Anxiety, Imposter Syndrome, Focus, Motivation, Burnout
Mar 25th, 2020
Potluck - Bootcamps × Career Change × Figma × Gatsby × AMP × Mongoose × More!
Feb 26th, 2020
Potluck - Next vs Gatsby × Headless CMS × Vue.js × Is Ruby on Rails still good? × More!
Jan 29th, 2020
Potluck - Dev Culture Fit × Slack Communities × Vanilla JS × Backpacks × Raspberry Pi × More!
Jan 27th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Building A Community Slack, Discord, Spectrum, Discourse, Forums
Jan 20th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Picking the Stack for uses.tech - Gatsby, React, Context, Styled Components
Jan 1st, 2020
Potluck - Fonts × Frameworks × Teas × Coding Subscriptions × Client Work × More!
Dec 4th, 2019
Potluck - Tabs are better? × Coding Music × SEO × Is Angular good? × Biggie Smalls × Soy Sauce × More!
Nov 6th, 2019
Potluck - Gatsby vs Next × Is Google Home spying on you? × Flat File CMS × CSS Frameworks × Hosting Client Sites × More!
Oct 9th, 2019
Potluck - Terminal Configs × CSS Reset × Flexbox × Freelancing × NPM Dependencies × Project Hand-off × More!
Sep 18th, 2019
Potluck - Why Webpack? × Serverless × Agencies × Recruiters × CSS Grid × MQ in Styled Components
Aug 21st, 2019
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Jul 31st, 2019
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Jun 26th, 2019
Potluck - Career Switch at 33 × Cover Letters × Kids × Learning Quickly × More!
May 29th, 2019
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
May 1st, 2019
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Apr 3rd, 2019
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
Mar 6th, 2019
Potluck - Are classes dead? × Tutorials vs Real Life × CRA vs Next × Scraping × More
Mar 4th, 2019
Hasty Treat - Authentication - LocalStorage vs Cookies vs Sessions vs Tokens
Feb 27th, 2019
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Feb 6th, 2019
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Jan 10th, 2019
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Dec 19th, 2018
Potluck - Typescript × E-commerce platforms × Job-hopping × Working for agencies × more
Dec 17th, 2018
Hasty Treat - Where are they now?! Gulp, Grunt, Bower, Backbone and Compass
Nov 21st, 2018
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Oct 26th, 2018
Potluck - Working with designers × Is WordPress Crap? × When to stop working × More
Aug 29th, 2018
Potluck - Programming Languages × Soft Skills × PHP vs JS × Breakdancing x Spice Blends
Aug 1st, 2018
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Jul 24th, 2018
The Undocumented Web - scraping, private APIs, proxies and “alternative solutions”
Jul 18th, 2018
Advice For Beginners - Tech Skills, Applying for Jobs, Focus, Imposter Syndrome + More
Jul 4th, 2018
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
May 9th, 2018
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Apr 18th, 2018
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Feb 7th, 2018
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Jan 31st, 2018
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Jan 24th, 2018
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Nov 29th, 2017
What's New in CSS? Variables, Scoping, New Selectors and Color Functions
Nov 1st, 2017
22 Buzz Words Explained — Mutations, Pure Functions , Serverless, Hoisting, MVC + More
Oct 18th, 2017
Tasty Treats — Rems VS Ems, Remote Work, Making Money, Getting good at Design + more! 🍬
Dec 9th, 2020
Gatsby vs Next.js in 2021👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes talk about Gatsby vs Next. A lot has changed in the last year — what are the differences, and do the recommendations from Syntax 120 still hold true?
Sanity - Sponsor
Sanity.io is a real-time headless CMS with a fully customizable Content Studio built in React. Get a Sanity powered site up and running in minutes at sanity.io/create. Get an awesome supercharged free developer plan on sanity.io/syntax.
Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what's happening with your errors, track them with Sentry. Sentry is open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time. Cut your time on error resolution from five hours to five minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code "tastytreat".
03:34 - Server-rendered
- Both do server rendered
- Gatsby is done at build time
- Next is done at build and on deploy
05:26 - Static generation
08:25 - Re-rendering pages
- Gatsby can be re-rendered and re-deployed - any CMS lets you do this on only the pages that changed.
- Next.js has the revalidate flag that will re-render when stale
18:54 - Data management
- Gatsby has a built in GraphQL API feature with
- Next.js has nothing - it's not their problem. Use Apollo, or SWR, React Query, or redux, or whatever you want.
23:16 - Client-side data
- Neither do anything, next.
26:33 - Dynamic Pages
- List of 100 shoes, each one gets a page
- List of four types of shoes: basketball, runners, casual, bowling, etc.
- List of 10 colors: each color gets its own page.
- List of 12 sizes, each size gets its own page.
- Now it gets complicated when you do this:
- Show me basketball shoes, in red, in size 5
- 600 pages minimum
- What about size 6+7?
- Then you get into having to fetch data on the client side - but all your data is in GraphQL?!
- The queries are different!
- Gatsby will get "Hosted GraphQL": https://twitter.com/kylemathews/status/1252803849775009794
30:41 - Routing
- Neither do nested routing still
- Both do folder based wrapper
34:50 - Hosting
35:54 - Images
- Lazy loading
- Blur up
- Next 10 released first revision of Next.js image
- It's not as good as Gatbsy-image
- Must specify width and height, whereas gatsby has fixed and fluid
- No blur up
- Yes lazy loading
- both don't support gifs
- Gatbsy requires annoying GraphQL query OR another plugin like MDX to do it
- Not for long! https://twitter.com/ascorbic/status/1320770231657238529
- Next.js is just
- Next does remote images
- Neither have quality or format auto like Cloudinary does
- Gatsby images have to be compressed at build time
- Next.js can do it on the fly
- assuming your server has the right tooling installed
- The GOLD STANDARD - https://gridsome.org/docs/images/
- Lib authors need to give this a look
46:20 - Server or Serverless
- Gatsby - none. You can do it with Netlify, Begin, AWS, Gatsby doesn't care.
- Next.js - can do server with API routes. Can do serverless if you host on Vercel.
49:44 - SEO
- Gatsby - Helmet
- Next - Head
- Plugin for both
49:55 - Plugin Ecosystem
- Gatsby has lots of plugins that you install
- Next.js has some too. Seems Gatsby is easier in this regard because plugins can manage and normalize data into the GRaphQL Layer.
53:10 - Auth
- Neither do auth
- The first to do baked-in auth solution could get big gains.
- See Scott's Svelte Meteor accounts set up. It good. https://github.com/leveluptuts/svelte-accounts-ui
55:00 - E-commerce
- Gatsby - options are mostly limited to Snipcart and Shopify like iframe drop in solutions where the majority of operations take place on another site and service.
- Next.js - hey released a starter boilerplate that leans on an existing headless cart
- Syntax 120: Gatsby vs Next
- React Query
- React Router
××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××
- Scott: Animating Svelte - Sign up for the year and save 25%!
- Wes: Advanced React Course - Use the coupon code 'Syntax' for $10 off!