In this Hasty Treat, Scott and Wes talk about hobbies — how they can improve your life and make you a better developer, as well as the hobbies they enjoy.
Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what's happening with your errors, track them with Sentry. Sentry is open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time. Cut your time on error resolution from five hours to five minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code "tastytreat".
3:19 - What are our hobbies?
Wes: Focus on one thing, learn it, move along
- Kombucha, Fermentation and Curing Projects
- Bike flipping
- Kids ride on repairs + hacks
- ATV fixing
- ICE to Battery conversion
- Dance - 15+ years
- Weightlifting / fitness
- Video games
- Watching hockey
- Computing / coding
- Kung fu movies
9:00 - Why are they good?
- Fuel your coding project
- Maybe could even become your key to a job you love
- They keep your mind sharp
- Good for downtime
- Good for mental health and mood
- Can be meditative
- Be cognizant of what they do to your mental state
- Promotes creativity and critical thinking
- Fun man
17:54 - How do you find a hobby?
- I always need an end game
- I want to grow hot peppers
- I want a wicked ATV for cheap
- I think batteries are fascinating but I need something real to do
Scott - I start with the fascination
- I think dancing is cool, but I could never learn
- I think _____ is cool, but I don't know where to start
Deep dark YouTube holes
- YouTube has an endless selection of educational content
Facebooks groups or forums
Meetups / volunteering
- Introverts will have a hard time with this, push yourself
22:50 - What is your hobby?