Playing: 196: Design Foundations For Developers
Hasty Treat - Picking the Stack for uses.tech - Gatsby, React, Context, Styled Components
Potluck - Tabs are better? × Coding Music × SEO × Is Angular good? × Biggie Smalls × Soy Sauce × More!
Potluck - Gatsby vs Next × Is Google Home spying on you? × Flat File CMS × CSS Frameworks × Hosting Client Sites × More!
Potluck - Terminal Configs × CSS Reset × Flexbox × Freelancing × NPM Dependencies × Project Hand-off × More!
Potluck - Why Webpack? × Serverless × Agencies × Recruiters × CSS Grid × MQ in Styled Components
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Nov 13th, 2019
Design Foundations For Developers👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes talk about design foundations for developers — tips to follow that will make your designs better!
Sanity - Sponsor
Sanity.io is a real-time headless CMS with a fully customizable Content Studio built in React. Get a Sanity powered site up and running in minutes at sanity.io/create. Get an awesome supercharged free developer plan on sanity.io/syntax.
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
6:35 - Our backgrounds in design
12:41 - Foundations
- Consistency makes a big difference
- Use "training wheel" tools until you are confident
- Always work within a system
- Less is more - subtle is better
19:39 - Color
- Color theory
- Complementary colors and shades
- Stick to color pallet generators until you are good enough
28:51 - Spacing
- More spacing than you think you need
- Vertical rhythm
- Letter spacing: -1px
- Consistent margin and padding
34:47 - Typography
- Sans vs serifs
- Finding fonts
- Use proven combinations until you know your way around
41:49 - Interaction
- Design for all states (e.g. standard, visited, active, hover, etc.)
- Animations should be quick
- Interactions should make sense
45:04 - Concerns beyond visuals
- Accessibility via color contrast
- Thin fonts and light grey are awful
- Think about the poor Windows users
48:47 - Inspiration + Resources
- Take inspiration from the best — you'll find your own voice after enough work
- Go easy on trends - blobby characters with purple hair
- Take a trip around the world wide web
- Site Inspire
- Refactoring UI
- Designer Starter Pack - Andrea Crofts
- Colour Lovers
- Syntax 142: Travis Neilson on Skills Gap, Design, Focus and Working at Google
- Figma - Google Font Pairings
- Type Scale
- Creative Market
- Radnika Next
- Syntax 72: Accessibility
- Site Inspire
- Refactoring UI
- Adam Wathan
- Steve Schoger