Playing: 140: Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Hasty Treat - Picking the Stack for uses.tech - Gatsby, React, Context, Styled Components
Potluck - Tabs are better? × Coding Music × SEO × Is Angular good? × Biggie Smalls × Soy Sauce × More!
Potluck - Gatsby vs Next × Is Google Home spying on you? × Flat File CMS × CSS Frameworks × Hosting Client Sites × More!
Potluck - Terminal Configs × CSS Reset × Flexbox × Freelancing × NPM Dependencies × Project Hand-off × More!
Potluck - Why Webpack? × Serverless × Agencies × Recruiters × CSS Grid × MQ in Styled Components
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
May 1st, 2019
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
It's another potluck episode in which Wes and Scott answer your questions! This month - Media Queries, NPM Vulnerabilities, Web VR and AR, Fullstack JS vs JAMstack for freelancers, switching jobs, and more!
Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what's happening with your errors, track them with Sentry. Sentry is open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time. Cut your time on error resolution from five hours to five minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code "tastytreat".
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
- Q: I recently started a static site so I want as much of the site as possible to change layout with just CSS for responsive design. I am comfortable with media queries but find often times the design is very different between sizes. It is easy to tame the complexity of repeated data for the different component views keeping everything in sync but is it good practice to put two completely different component level views in a single HTML file? Does the repeated data in the static HTML have any effect on SEO?
- Q: How should a mid developer know when its time to leave the current company? Is tech stack (e.g frameworkless) a decent reason even though he/she is happy at the place, but feels like they are not growing enough?
- Q: Should I worry about the critical vulnerabilities when installing an NPM package?
I specifically use an external NPM package called npm-check-updates and then I just run
- Q: I've had the idea for styling one site two different ways (professional/artistic) and giving visitors a button to toggle between the two. Too gimmicky? Secondary: how did you pick your brand colors?
- Q: Any SICK TIPS on career change? I'm a full-time employee with two kids and a lovely wife, who wants a fulfilling career. I throw as much time in as I can to study, but I feel like it isn't enough to apply for jobs.
- Q: Within the next two years, how well do you think WebVR and WebXR technologies would fit within mainstream web development (think A-Frame, SparkAR, React 360 in normal websites and applications)?
- Q: Should I learn Fullstack JS or JAMstack for freelancing?
- Q: Is front-end development dying?
- Q: How do you deal with CSS-in-JS when you have one-off stuff, or coupled components/selectors like a [CSS] grid container and a grid child (think
grid-area)? CSS-in-JS feels very verbose for this use case.
- Q: Scott always talks about Meteor. I thinks its really cool too. What's the future of it and why didn't it take off? It seems to have slowed down. They seem to have moved on to other projects like GraphQL stuff.
××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××
- Wes: Wes' Courses — use coupon code "syntax" at checkout and get and extra $10 off.
- Scott: Animating React