Playing: 140: Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Apr 1st, 2020
Mental Health and Dev ft Dr. Courtney Tolinski - Depression, Anxiety, Imposter Syndrome, Focus, Motivation, Burnout
Mar 25th, 2020
Potluck - Bootcamps × Career Change × Figma × Gatsby × AMP × Mongoose × More!
Feb 26th, 2020
Potluck - Next vs Gatsby × Headless CMS × Vue.js × Is Ruby on Rails still good? × More!
Jan 29th, 2020
Potluck - Dev Culture Fit × Slack Communities × Vanilla JS × Backpacks × Raspberry Pi × More!
Jan 27th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Building A Community Slack, Discord, Spectrum, Discourse, Forums
Jan 20th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Picking the Stack for uses.tech - Gatsby, React, Context, Styled Components
Jan 1st, 2020
Potluck - Fonts × Frameworks × Teas × Coding Subscriptions × Client Work × More!
Dec 4th, 2019
Potluck - Tabs are better? × Coding Music × SEO × Is Angular good? × Biggie Smalls × Soy Sauce × More!
Nov 6th, 2019
Potluck - Gatsby vs Next × Is Google Home spying on you? × Flat File CMS × CSS Frameworks × Hosting Client Sites × More!
Oct 9th, 2019
Potluck - Terminal Configs × CSS Reset × Flexbox × Freelancing × NPM Dependencies × Project Hand-off × More!
Sep 18th, 2019
Potluck - Why Webpack? × Serverless × Agencies × Recruiters × CSS Grid × MQ in Styled Components
Aug 21st, 2019
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Jul 31st, 2019
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Jun 26th, 2019
Potluck - Career Switch at 33 × Cover Letters × Kids × Learning Quickly × More!
May 29th, 2019
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
Apr 3rd, 2019
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
Mar 6th, 2019
Potluck - Are classes dead? × Tutorials vs Real Life × CRA vs Next × Scraping × More
Mar 4th, 2019
Hasty Treat - Authentication - LocalStorage vs Cookies vs Sessions vs Tokens
Feb 27th, 2019
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Feb 6th, 2019
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Jan 10th, 2019
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Dec 19th, 2018
Potluck - Typescript × E-commerce platforms × Job-hopping × Working for agencies × more
Dec 17th, 2018
Hasty Treat - Where are they now?! Gulp, Grunt, Bower, Backbone and Compass
Nov 21st, 2018
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Oct 26th, 2018
Potluck - Working with designers × Is WordPress Crap? × When to stop working × More
Aug 29th, 2018
Potluck - Programming Languages × Soft Skills × PHP vs JS × Breakdancing x Spice Blends
Aug 1st, 2018
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Jul 24th, 2018
The Undocumented Web - scraping, private APIs, proxies and “alternative solutions”
Jul 18th, 2018
Advice For Beginners - Tech Skills, Applying for Jobs, Focus, Imposter Syndrome + More
Jul 4th, 2018
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
May 9th, 2018
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Apr 18th, 2018
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Feb 7th, 2018
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Jan 31st, 2018
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Jan 24th, 2018
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Nov 29th, 2017
What's New in CSS? Variables, Scoping, New Selectors and Color Functions
Nov 1st, 2017
22 Buzz Words Explained — Mutations, Pure Functions , Serverless, Hoisting, MVC + More
Oct 18th, 2017
Tasty Treats — Rems VS Ems, Remote Work, Making Money, Getting good at Design + more! 🍬
May 1st, 2019
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
It's another potluck episode in which Wes and Scott answer your questions! This month - Media Queries, NPM Vulnerabilities, Web VR and AR, Fullstack JS vs JAMstack for freelancers, switching jobs, and more!
Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what's happening with your errors, track them with Sentry. Sentry is open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time. Cut your time on error resolution from five hours to five minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code "tastytreat".
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
- Q: I recently started a static site so I want as much of the site as possible to change layout with just CSS for responsive design. I am comfortable with media queries but find often times the design is very different between sizes. It is easy to tame the complexity of repeated data for the different component views keeping everything in sync but is it good practice to put two completely different component level views in a single HTML file? Does the repeated data in the static HTML have any effect on SEO?
- Q: How should a mid developer know when its time to leave the current company? Is tech stack (e.g frameworkless) a decent reason even though he/she is happy at the place, but feels like they are not growing enough?
- Q: Should I worry about the critical vulnerabilities when installing an NPM package?
I specifically use an external NPM package called npm-check-updates and then I just run
- Q: I've had the idea for styling one site two different ways (professional/artistic) and giving visitors a button to toggle between the two. Too gimmicky? Secondary: how did you pick your brand colors?
- Q: Any SICK TIPS on career change? I'm a full-time employee with two kids and a lovely wife, who wants a fulfilling career. I throw as much time in as I can to study, but I feel like it isn't enough to apply for jobs.
- Q: Within the next two years, how well do you think WebVR and WebXR technologies would fit within mainstream web development (think A-Frame, SparkAR, React 360 in normal websites and applications)?
- Q: Should I learn Fullstack JS or JAMstack for freelancing?
- Q: Is front-end development dying?
- Q: How do you deal with CSS-in-JS when you have one-off stuff, or coupled components/selectors like a [CSS] grid container and a grid child (think
grid-area)? CSS-in-JS feels very verbose for this use case.
- Q: Scott always talks about Meteor. I thinks its really cool too. What's the future of it and why didn't it take off? It seems to have slowed down. They seem to have moved on to other projects like GraphQL stuff.
××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××
- Wes: Wes' Courses — use coupon code "syntax" at checkout and get and extra $10 off.
- Scott: Animating React