Playing: 136: 9 Ways to Stay Sane While Working Remotely
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Apr 17th, 2019
9 Ways to Stay Sane While Working Remotely👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes talk about working remotely — problems, challenges, and how to keep yourself sane, productive and efficient.
LogRocket - Sponsor
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It's an exception tracker, a session re-player and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free at https://logrocket.com/syntax.
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
4:34 - Find your spots
- Coffee shops
7:40 - Deal with Distractions
- Log out of Twitter/Facebook/Instagram
- Delete Apps — only use the browser
- Put phone and computer on "do not disturb"
- Focus App
11:33 - Prioritize your tasks
- Drifting is possible when it isn't clear what you need to do
- If you don't have someone telling you what to do, it can be hard to get started
- Todo lists
17:15 - Make time to be social
- Go to meet ups
- Chat in Slack or Discord rooms
- Talk to people at work spaces
21:48 - Get fresh air
- Go for a walk
- Open the windows
24:03 - Get moving
- Hit the gym
- Do push-ups in your office
28:09 - Have a separate work space
- Designated office
- Don't work from the couch with the TV on
- Clean your damn office 😂
38:16 - Act like you are going to work
- Dress well
- Fix up, look sharp - get yourself ready to go
40:44 - Take Breaks (not too many, not too long)
- Some people like the Pomodoro Technique
- Take a lunch break away from your computer
- Don't make a break longer than 15 minutes or so
- Getting Things Done
- Eat That Frog
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing