Playing: 128: How To Find Freelance Clients
Sep 21st, 2020
Hasty Treat - Our First Bucks Made From Web Dev, Teaching, YouTube and Tutorials
Sep 9th, 2020
Tales from Webdev Past - Cleafix × Floats × Cufon × Guestbooks × PNG Fix × More!
Sep 2nd, 2020
Potluck - RIP Firefox? × Safari × Changing Careers × Regression Testing × Google Analytics Alternatives × Malicious Github Users? × Mac vs Windows × More!
Aug 26th, 2020
Potluck - MDX × Portfolio Projects × Code Commenting × CSS Properties × Reusable Components × More!
Aug 19th, 2020
Potluck - Subscriptions × ES Modules in Node × Chicken Thigh × Being a Good Dad × Refactoring × More!
Jul 27th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Target=_blank security issue? What's the deal with noopener and noreferrer?
Jul 22nd, 2020
Potluck - Beating Procrastination × Rollup vs Webpack × Leadership × Code Planning × Styled Components × More!
Jul 6th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Forms, Captchas, Honeypots, Dealing With Malicious Users and the Sad State of Contact Forms
Jun 24th, 2020
Potluck - Libraries vs Frameworks × Firefox × Career Advice For Teenagers × Who Would Win a Thumb War? × More!
Jun 17th, 2020
The Fundamentals Leftovers - Terminal, Shortcuts, View Source, Github + More!
May 27th, 2020
Potluck - Courses for Kids × Sub-Components × Recursion × DB Hosting × Frameworks × Data Structures & Algorithms × More!
Apr 29th, 2020
Potluck Part 2 - Magic GQLess × Are classes dead? × Custom Hooks × Staying Up To Date × CSS × More!
Apr 22nd, 2020
Potluck - Mobile First × Arrow Functions × Deno × JSON APIs × Refactoring Tips × More!
Apr 1st, 2020
Mental Health and Dev ft Dr. Courtney Tolinski - Depression, Anxiety, Imposter Syndrome, Focus, Motivation, Burnout
Mar 25th, 2020
Potluck - Bootcamps × Career Change × Figma × Gatsby × AMP × Mongoose × More!
Feb 26th, 2020
Potluck - Next vs Gatsby × Headless CMS × Vue.js × Is Ruby on Rails still good? × More!
Jan 29th, 2020
Potluck - Dev Culture Fit × Slack Communities × Vanilla JS × Backpacks × Raspberry Pi × More!
Jan 27th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Building A Community Slack, Discord, Spectrum, Discourse, Forums
Jan 20th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Picking the Stack for uses.tech - Gatsby, React, Context, Styled Components
Jan 1st, 2020
Potluck - Fonts × Frameworks × Teas × Coding Subscriptions × Client Work × More!
Dec 4th, 2019
Potluck - Tabs are better? × Coding Music × SEO × Is Angular good? × Biggie Smalls × Soy Sauce × More!
Nov 6th, 2019
Potluck - Gatsby vs Next × Is Google Home spying on you? × Flat File CMS × CSS Frameworks × Hosting Client Sites × More!
Oct 9th, 2019
Potluck - Terminal Configs × CSS Reset × Flexbox × Freelancing × NPM Dependencies × Project Hand-off × More!
Sep 18th, 2019
Potluck - Why Webpack? × Serverless × Agencies × Recruiters × CSS Grid × MQ in Styled Components
Aug 21st, 2019
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Jul 31st, 2019
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Jun 26th, 2019
Potluck - Career Switch at 33 × Cover Letters × Kids × Learning Quickly × More!
May 29th, 2019
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
May 1st, 2019
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Apr 3rd, 2019
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
Mar 6th, 2019
Potluck - Are classes dead? × Tutorials vs Real Life × CRA vs Next × Scraping × More
Mar 4th, 2019
Hasty Treat - Authentication - LocalStorage vs Cookies vs Sessions vs Tokens
Feb 27th, 2019
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Feb 6th, 2019
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Jan 10th, 2019
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Dec 19th, 2018
Potluck - Typescript × E-commerce platforms × Job-hopping × Working for agencies × more
Dec 17th, 2018
Hasty Treat - Where are they now?! Gulp, Grunt, Bower, Backbone and Compass
Nov 21st, 2018
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Oct 26th, 2018
Potluck - Working with designers × Is WordPress Crap? × When to stop working × More
Aug 29th, 2018
Potluck - Programming Languages × Soft Skills × PHP vs JS × Breakdancing x Spice Blends
Aug 1st, 2018
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Jul 24th, 2018
The Undocumented Web - scraping, private APIs, proxies and “alternative solutions”
Jul 18th, 2018
Advice For Beginners - Tech Skills, Applying for Jobs, Focus, Imposter Syndrome + More
Jul 4th, 2018
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
May 9th, 2018
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Apr 18th, 2018
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Feb 7th, 2018
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Jan 31st, 2018
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Jan 24th, 2018
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Nov 29th, 2017
What's New in CSS? Variables, Scoping, New Selectors and Color Functions
Nov 1st, 2017
22 Buzz Words Explained — Mutations, Pure Functions , Serverless, Hoisting, MVC + More
Oct 18th, 2017
Tasty Treats — Rems VS Ems, Remote Work, Making Money, Getting good at Design + more! 🍬
Mar 20th, 2019
How To Find Freelance Clients👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
In this episode Wes and Scott talk about how to find freelance clients — tangible things you can do to position yourself and set yourself up for success.
Stackbit - Sponsor
Build modern JAMStack websites in minutes. Stackbit lets you combine any theme, site generator and CMS without complicated integrations. Join the beta today by visiting stackbit.com/syntaxfm.
LogRocket - Sponsor
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It's an exception tracker, a session replayer and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free at https://logrocket.com/syntax.
1:27 - Question from Andreas Trattner: I am a backend developer with 4+ years experience working on large systems in Europe and am considering moving toward freelancing/contracting. However, I find it difficult to discover quality opportunities. Any tips you can share on how to strategically get projects?
- There isn't a secret trove of work, and there's no one way to do it.
4:50 - Relationships
- Trust and relationships rule all. The best paying gigs are never advertised.
- Who should you know?
- Other developers
- How? Meetups, Conferences, Twitter, Slack rooms, Friends
- Tip: Volunteering is a great way to get in to conferences, plus you often get to know people
- Tip: If you are friends of a friend who gets a lot of work, as for a introduction
- Designers and marketers
- You usually work together
- How? Twitter, Email, Dribbble, Instagram
- Project managers
- How? Cold emails, tweets
- Office managers
- Life blood of the office - they know everyone
- Often move into other roles
- How? Meetups, previous employees
- Lots of connections, often switching gears
- How? Demo camps, Facebook marketing groups
- Venture capitalists
- Have dozens of companies and tons of connections
- How? Demo camps, introductions, cold email
- Other developers
19:08 - Display of expertise
- It certainly is an option to just be really freaking good at what you do
- Speaking at conferences and local meetups
- Working on open source
- Helping in chat rooms
- Posting guides
- Maintaining docs
- Offering reviews / Make things public
- Start a podcast
9:22 - Visibility
- You need to let everyone know what you do. Your mom's uncle's friend's cousin on Facebook might casually ask for recommendations.
- Instagram / Photos. Showing people what you are doing and what you are working on will make a mental note in their head that you do that type of work.
- Facebook / Twitter / Instagram
- This makes the "vetting" process much easier
- YouTube videos
- Slack channels you are involved in
38:02 - Other tactics
- SEO - Locality (Toronto designer), specific technologies (Redux contractor)
- This one sucks, but it can lead to decent work occasionally
- You need to be more vigilant in screening, most clients will suck
- Cold asks - Just ask people what works well
- "Hey, I'm looking to book a few contracts starting June 2019. I love working with __ and you can see my work here"
- Put a phone number on your website. Seriously.
- Won't make as much money here because of competition
- Local business listings
- Find online and offline biz listings
- Old fashioned — putting your card on bulletin boards
47:29 - Maintaining Relationships
- Check in every few months with non-biz related contact
- But also just straight up ask for work
- Christmas / Thank-you gifts