Playing: 094: Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Jul 6th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Forms, Captchas, Honeypots, Dealing With Malicious Users and the Sad State of Contact Forms
Jun 24th, 2020
Potluck - Libraries vs Frameworks × Firefox × Career Advice For Teenagers × Who Would Win a Thumb War? × More!
Jun 17th, 2020
The Fundamentals Leftovers - Terminal, Shortcuts, View Source, Github + More!
May 27th, 2020
Potluck - Courses for Kids × Sub-Components × Recursion × DB Hosting × Frameworks × Data Structures & Algorithms × More!
Apr 29th, 2020
Potluck Part 2 - Magic GQLess × Are classes dead? × Custom Hooks × Staying Up To Date × CSS × More!
Apr 22nd, 2020
Potluck - Mobile First × Arrow Functions × Deno × JSON APIs × Refactoring Tips × More!
Apr 1st, 2020
Mental Health and Dev ft Dr. Courtney Tolinski - Depression, Anxiety, Imposter Syndrome, Focus, Motivation, Burnout
Mar 25th, 2020
Potluck - Bootcamps × Career Change × Figma × Gatsby × AMP × Mongoose × More!
Feb 26th, 2020
Potluck - Next vs Gatsby × Headless CMS × Vue.js × Is Ruby on Rails still good? × More!
Jan 29th, 2020
Potluck - Dev Culture Fit × Slack Communities × Vanilla JS × Backpacks × Raspberry Pi × More!
Jan 27th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Building A Community Slack, Discord, Spectrum, Discourse, Forums
Jan 20th, 2020
Hasty Treat - Picking the Stack for uses.tech - Gatsby, React, Context, Styled Components
Jan 1st, 2020
Potluck - Fonts × Frameworks × Teas × Coding Subscriptions × Client Work × More!
Dec 4th, 2019
Potluck - Tabs are better? × Coding Music × SEO × Is Angular good? × Biggie Smalls × Soy Sauce × More!
Nov 6th, 2019
Potluck - Gatsby vs Next × Is Google Home spying on you? × Flat File CMS × CSS Frameworks × Hosting Client Sites × More!
Oct 9th, 2019
Potluck - Terminal Configs × CSS Reset × Flexbox × Freelancing × NPM Dependencies × Project Hand-off × More!
Sep 18th, 2019
Potluck - Why Webpack? × Serverless × Agencies × Recruiters × CSS Grid × MQ in Styled Components
Aug 21st, 2019
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Jul 31st, 2019
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Jun 26th, 2019
Potluck - Career Switch at 33 × Cover Letters × Kids × Learning Quickly × More!
May 29th, 2019
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
May 1st, 2019
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Apr 3rd, 2019
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
Mar 6th, 2019
Potluck - Are classes dead? × Tutorials vs Real Life × CRA vs Next × Scraping × More
Mar 4th, 2019
Hasty Treat - Authentication - LocalStorage vs Cookies vs Sessions vs Tokens
Feb 27th, 2019
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Feb 6th, 2019
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Jan 10th, 2019
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Dec 19th, 2018
Potluck - Typescript × E-commerce platforms × Job-hopping × Working for agencies × more
Dec 17th, 2018
Hasty Treat - Where are they now?! Gulp, Grunt, Bower, Backbone and Compass
Oct 26th, 2018
Potluck - Working with designers × Is WordPress Crap? × When to stop working × More
Aug 29th, 2018
Potluck - Programming Languages × Soft Skills × PHP vs JS × Breakdancing x Spice Blends
Aug 1st, 2018
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Jul 24th, 2018
The Undocumented Web - scraping, private APIs, proxies and “alternative solutions”
Jul 18th, 2018
Advice For Beginners - Tech Skills, Applying for Jobs, Focus, Imposter Syndrome + More
Jul 4th, 2018
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
May 9th, 2018
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Apr 18th, 2018
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Feb 7th, 2018
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Jan 31st, 2018
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Jan 24th, 2018
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Nov 29th, 2017
What's New in CSS? Variables, Scoping, New Selectors and Color Functions
Nov 1st, 2017
22 Buzz Words Explained — Mutations, Pure Functions , Serverless, Hoisting, MVC + More
Oct 18th, 2017
Tasty Treats — Rems VS Ems, Remote Work, Making Money, Getting good at Design + more! 🍬
Nov 21st, 2018
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
It's another potluck episode in which Wes and Scott answer your questions! This month - raising your rates, full stack designers, JWT, VS Code tips, and more.
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
React in Action - Sponsor
React in Action by Mark Thomas from Manning Publications is a great way to learn React. It's a clearly written, example-rich book, introducing front-end developers to the React framework and related tools. Not everyone likes learning from a video. If that's you, React In Action is a great book that covers everything you need to know. Also be sure to check out this page for 40% off all manning books and videos.
- I listened to your episode on Freelancing and I was wondering how to justify an increase in my hourly rate. You mentioned that you just increased it to $100/hr and nobody griped, but I seem to have a steady stream of clients who want things for free or nearly free and I usually have that fear that if I charge them more, then I won't get the business. Thoughts?
- I've started a YouTube web development channel. Recently, I was approached to produce content for money for another website. For some reason, I immediately thought I might be taken advantage of (I'm pretty new and it's odd to be offered something like this so quickly, no?) if accepting. What do you think? Should I create content for a (small) website that I never heard of or continue with YouTube (or both)?
- I've read on Twitter that React.Context can be a good replacement for Redux. Why?
- What's it like running a podcast?!
- I've seen a rise in the term "full-stack designer". Is this a title you think will become a real thing? Someone capable of overseeing a project from concept to prototype? Thanks!
- What has been the most awkward situation you’ve been in as a dev?
- Do you have any good resources on JWT? I’m unclear when my front end needs to send what to my back end, to ensure my sites and only my sites can get the data requested from my server. Thanks for everything you do!
- How do you move selected text horizontally (or vertically) in VSCode? I've seen it in Wes' videos and I tried to ask him on Twitter, but I'm sure that is a chore to keep up with. I've googled a ton, but the only thing I found was an extension that adjusts indentation, which is not really what I'm after.
- How do you recommend providing feedback on "bad" code to a developer more experienced than you, without coming off as an uppity, know-it-all junior who just read a bunch of textbooks??
- How do you set up an IP whitelist? I am just getting started managing databases and I am using Mongo Atlas. They require an IP whitelist for all connections. Developing from my computer is fine because I can just add my IP to the whitelist, but what do I do if I actually want to make my API or website public? Just whitelist everything? That sounds like a terrible idea...