In this Hasty Treat, Scott and Wes conclude a three-part series about old browsers, fallbacks and polyfills. In part three, they talk specifically about transpiling and polyfilling.
VueSchool.io — Sponsor
Check out VueSchool.io's new subscription plans. Get access to their entire catalog with more than 160 lessons, including The Vue.js Masterclass, for one low monthly fee. New content and courses are added regularly. Visit VueSchool.io/syntax and get your first month for only $5.
2:20 - Polyfills and Transpile
5:18 - Back in the day
- Border-radius htc hack
- PNG fix for transparent PNGs
- Flash for custom fonts
- Cufon and SIFR
- Syntax is transpiled
- Babel has plugins and presets
- Meteor bundle to different browsers on demand
- There are polyfills for most things, but performance can be an issue
- Resize observer
- Intersection Observer
- Some things can’t be done with either
- New browser APIs
- Service workers, device access, inline video on old iOS, etc.