Playing: 054: Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Jul 4th, 2018
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
It's another potluck episode in which Wes and Scott talk about freelancing best practices, tips for working remotely, what they would do if they had to pick a different career, and much more!
Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
Coffeecup's CSS Grid Builder Tool — Sponsor
Check out Coffeecup's CSS Grid.cc builder tool and resources to learn, prototype and build next gen layouts with CSS Grid!
- How long should you stay with each job and/or company?
- What is the best way to work remotely?
- Tips for remote working
- Have a dedicated space
- Clear on and off times
- Have a time for winding down
- Make specific TODO lists
- Use blocking software to help you stay focused
- Switch up the scenery / Work in different places
- What are the trade-offs with using WordPress in a headless setup vs a tradition setup?
- How do you deal with API credentials in React?
- How do you keep an eye on performance with an app/site over the long-term?
- What happened to Canvas after all the hype around HTML5 a few years ago?
- How do you deal with analysis paralysis?
- Just get to work - you can always change things later
- Do research, but don't let it get in the way of shipping
- If you were forced to change your career (and it had to be something you've never done professionally in the past), what would it be?
- Wes: Some sort of buying and selling (eBay, Amazon, etc,)
- Example: Buying things at wholesale prices and selling them with a markup
- Scott: Could go a lot of different directions.
- Example: DJ, Snowboarding instructor, develop a video game that is a sequel to Cruis'n USA
- As a freelance developer, what are some good questions to ask before taking on a client?
- Preferred communication methods
- How do you make money?
- What are the ultimate goals?
- Basically, ask as many questions as possible