Scott and Wes talk about marketing. Specifically how to do marketing if you're a developer wondering where to start.
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the "How did you hear about us?" section.
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It's an exception tracker, a session replayer and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free over at https://logrocket.com/syntax
7:58 - Personal Branding
- Build trust and reciprocity
- Be authentic to yourself and let that carry through in your work.
- Have the guts to put yourself out there and establish yourself as an expert.
- Speak at conferences
- Write blog posts
- Make YouTube videos
- Be on podcasts
- Start your own podcast
14:50 - Running a Business
- Treat people well.
- Reward your customers.
- Don't punish your users.
- Have a refund policy.
19:26 - Social Media
49:55 - Paid Advertising
- Don't be sleazy.
- Ads are good for getting likes and driving some traffic to something, but it takes experimentation to get the best bang for you buck.
54:40 - Email marketing
- Wes: Email is probably responsible for most of my sales.
- Keeps people up to date and helpful for promoting new courses.
- Helpful for figuring out what people want.
59:17 - Partnerships
- A lot of companies want to partner rather than just sponsor.
- It can be a great way to fund the creation of products/courses.
- Affiliate programs are great when they work out.
67:30 - Freebies
- Giving away free content is a surefire way to get people to pay attention.
- It's about giving back to the community as much as marketing your products.
××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××