Playing: 023: Web Development in 2017 && a look ahead at 2018 🍾🍷
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Dec 13th, 2017
Web Development in 2017 && a look ahead at 2018 🍾🍷👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
What happened in web development in 2017? What were our personal and professional feats in 2017? What should we look forward to in 2018?
Snipcart — Sponsor
Snipcart allows you to create online shopping carts without any backend work. It's entirely client-side which means it's the perfect fit for anyone building a SPA in React, Angular or any other framework. Check out the full list of features over at Snipcart.com/syntax and sign up for three months free!
Freshbooks — Sponsor
If you are a small business or freelancer check out Freshbooks.com Cloud Accounting and get 30 days free. Make sure to enter SYNTAX into the "How did you hear about us" section.
The Show Notes!
- Scott's 2017 Look Back
- Scott is a new parent
- Dealing with kids who don't sleep
- Scott's Breakdancing Gains
- Wes' Look Back
- Taking Health Seriously
- First full year of Wes doing tutorials full time
- Course Correction VS Goals
- Course Platform Improvements
- Lots of Email Marketing
- Migration to Drip
- Scott cut ties with startup
- 100% Invested in Levelup Tutorials
- Major Platform improvements
- New Payment Gateways
- Lots of new Series - 400 videos!
- We Launched Syntax!
- Thank you!
- The show is getting good (we think?)
- Wes launched his Learn Node Course
- Wes updated his ES6 for Everyone Course
- Goals for 2018
- The Yacht Club
- S.M.A.R.T. Goals
- Scott's 2018 Goals
- More videos
- More Youtube
- Building a Set
- Less Overtime
- Wes' 2018 Goals
- Releasing lots and lots of Content
- CSS Grid
- VS Code
- If it's not a Hell Yes, it's a no
- Double down on what works
- New Checkout Experience
- Delegate + Automate
- Get faster at recording
- SSR Frameworks: Next.js, Gatsby, Nuxt.js
- Tooling is becoming less of a pain in the ass
- GraphQL Is Blowin' Upppppp
- Typed Languages / Typings
- Flow / Typescript / ReasonML / GraphQL Typings
- WordPress' Gutenberg Editor
- React Patent's Dropped
- Vue became really popular
- CSS Changes!
- CSS Grid
- Firefox CSS Grid Dev Tools
- Componentized CSS
- Design Systems
- CSS Variables
- VS Code became very popular
- The Iron Yard shut down
- Progressive Web Apps
- What do we hope for in 2018?