Playing: 022: Failure
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Dec 6th, 2017
Failure👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
Failure. How do you deal with it? How to learn from it? How do you know when you should give up vs keep pushing?
Snipcart — Sponsor
Snipcart allows you to create online shopping carts without any backend work. It's entirely client-side which means it's the perfect fit for anyone building a SPA in React, Angular or any other framework. Check out the full list of features over at Snipcart.com/syntax and sign up for three months free!
Get In Shape with DevLifts — Sponsor
DevLifts is how I (Wes) got in shape. After an indepth consultation about your goals, They will create you a personal training and nutrition plan. If you are looking to get in shape in 2018, now is the time to sign up. Use the code SYNTAX for an extra $50 off.
The Show Notes!
- Scott and Wes shoot the shit
- Wes is back from the DotJS conference
- Wes does a terrible (and hopefully not offensive) French Accent
- What's the deal with the #FailFast culture
- We talk about Fear of Failure and how it can stop you from starting anything at all
- High Stakes vs Low Stakes Failure
- Be aware of how fear of failure manifests itself in your work
- Just do it, put in the work
- Pen to Paper
- How to deal with mid-project failure
- Getting sick of a project part way through
- Finishing Things is such an underrated skill
- Small wins is key for confidence
- Take the emotion out of the decisions
- MVP - Minimum Viable Product
- Do you plan for failure?
- Wes' Life is Course Correction
- Wes is Unapologetically Confident
- Scott is Ignorantly Confident
- Another one of Scott's amazing segueways into our Sponsor
- Wes' Facebook Ads Failures
- The cost of admission
- Own your role in something failing
- Eating burnt rice is a huge character trait