Playing: 019: How to get into Speaking At Conferences
Hasty Treat - Picking the Stack for uses.tech - Gatsby, React, Context, Styled Components
Potluck - Tabs are better? × Coding Music × SEO × Is Angular good? × Biggie Smalls × Soy Sauce × More!
Potluck - Gatsby vs Next × Is Google Home spying on you? × Flat File CMS × CSS Frameworks × Hosting Client Sites × More!
Potluck - Terminal Configs × CSS Reset × Flexbox × Freelancing × NPM Dependencies × Project Hand-off × More!
Potluck - Why Webpack? × Serverless × Agencies × Recruiters × CSS Grid × MQ in Styled Components
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Nov 15th, 2017
How to get into Speaking At Conferences👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
Wes talks to Scott about speaking at conferences. What are the benefits of speaking? How do you apply? What talk should you give? What makes a good conference talk?
Freshbooks is the best!
Freshbooks.com/syntax - Get 30 days free. Make sure to enter SYNTAX into the "How did you hear about us" section.
The Show Notes
- Snow Tires are supes important
- Free travel / accommodations / vacation
- Fantastic Friendships and Industry Connections
- Job Opportunities
- Industry Recognition
- Renewed Excitement
- Wes loved David K Piano's Flip Talk
How do you Apply / Where to Find Conferences
- Create a CFP
- You need to brute force it
- 🍯 Honey Hole: Lanyrd Calls
- 🐝 Honey Hole: The Weekly CFP
- 🍯 Honey Hole: Papercall.io
Types of Talks you could give
- Lessons Learned Talk
- The New Concept Talk (the tasty treats talk)
- My Approach to XYZ
- The Complicated Concepts Explained
- The Super Interesting Deep End Talk
What makes a good talk?
- Skip the history lesson - hook them
- Keep your personal bio short
- Start with a banger ‼️
- Short Code Examples
- Short Looping video examples
- Scott's Origin Story Podcast
- Make sure your talk works offline
- Prepare for aspect ratios
- Plug into the projector before your talk
- Live that dongle life
- Show people why they need to know something
Slide Deck Software
- Powerpoint or Keynote
- Wes' HTML5 Slide Deck
- Another one of Wes' talks
- Reveal JS
- React Spectacle
- Training pays well
- More hands on experience for conf attendees
Getting the Most out of a tech conference
- Wes' Post on Getting the most out of a conference
- Conf Code of Conduct
- Logitech Wireless Clicker
- Join Twitter Early
- Have Lunch with Speakers
- Stay off your phone
- Keep your name badge on!
- Practice your break away