Playing: 214: 2020 Fitness
Potluck - Tabs are better? × Coding Music × SEO × Is Angular good? × Biggie Smalls × Soy Sauce × More!
Potluck - Gatsby vs Next × Is Google Home spying on you? × Flat File CMS × CSS Frameworks × Hosting Client Sites × More!
Potluck - Terminal Configs × CSS Reset × Flexbox × Freelancing × NPM Dependencies × Project Hand-off × More!
Potluck - Why Webpack? × Serverless × Agencies × Recruiters × CSS Grid × MQ in Styled Components
Potluck - Deploying Applications × Typescript × Live Coding with Twitch × Fullstack Architecture × More!
Potluck - What is "State"? × Web Sockets × Remote Working × Firefox × Machines Taking Our Jobs × More!
Potluck - CSS × Angular × Dev job preparation × Svelte × File organization × Gear × More!
Potluck - Media Queries × NPM Vulnerabilities × Fullstack JS vs JAMstack × Web VR/AR × Switching Jobs × More!
Potluck - Interview Qs × Headless CMS × React Hooks × Resume Design × Redux vs Context × More!
How We Manage Our Lives — Notion, Todos, Notes, Focusing, Calendars, Goal tracking, and more!
Potluck - Changing careers × Repo organization × CSS Grid × Certifications × Freelancing × Spammers × More
Potluck - Where to start with JS × Freelancing × Cron jobs × Split testing × Frameworks in 2019 × More
Potluck - $100/hr × Redux Replacements × Full Stack Designers × JWT × VS Code Tips × More
Potluck - Editor Fonts × Portfolios × Meetup Tips × Switching to Windows × Freelancing Sources
Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
Potluck EP × Is Redux Dead × Learning Quickly × Developing Solo × Specialist vs Generalist × Funnest Projects × Wes’ BBQ Course
Potluck EP × Vue.js × Headless WP × Typescript & Flow × Productivity × Server Side Rendering × Yeoman
Wes and Scott's Lives - Breakdancing, BBQ, Wives, Work/Life Balance, Problem Solving, YouTube Subscriptions
Snack Pack — CSS Frameworks, React HOC, Render Props, Coding Designers, Early Career Advice and a sound board!
Hosting & Servers — Heroku, Now, Galaxy, Digital Ocean, Linode, Docker, Netlify and more!
Jan 15th, 2020
2020 Fitness👇 Download Show✏️ Edit Show Notes
In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes talk about fitness — how to stay in shape as a developer, nutrition, goals, and more!
DevLifts - Sponsor
Refactor your body with DevLifts. They have a few different programs: 1) fit.Start (normally $19/month) has a few options (lean, bodyweight, and strong). Workouts are delivered via email each month, with access to a Slack community for questions and accountability. 2) Premium (normally $199/month) is a custom-tailored option, where you get your workouts and nutrition advice after answering a questionnaire. They also check in with you each week via Slack to see how it's going and make changes if necessary. Get 50% off fit.Start plans with code SYNTAX and 50% off Premium with code TASTY.
Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what's happening with your errors, track them with Sentry. Sentry is open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time. Cut your time on error resolution from five hours to five minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code "tastytreat".
4:42 - Past year reflections
- Tried several different lifting
- Breaking didn't happen as much, so my cardio took a hit
- I finally found a full body plan / bro split that has been very effective
- Weight belt has really helped my form
- Overcommitted in 2019
- Feeling great - physically
- Gained about 12 pounds past where I want to be - rough year!
- Noticeable loss in energy when I don't hit the gym
- DevLifts since November
- Cardio / HIIT up
12:15 - What we're doing now
- 4 day split
- Abs every day
- 3 days a week
- Set A - Chest and back
- Set B - Legs and chest
- Set C - Legs and back
Cardio finisher (BLASTERS)
- At home helpers
- Kettle bells
- Foam roller
30:32 - Nutrition
- Nothing too hardcore, salads for lunch - not religiously though
- Good dinners
- IF occasionally (e.g. not eating before 10 and not eating after dinner snacks)
- Desert items allowed
- Macro Tracking - still want to enjoy things
- Low Carb
- High on veggies
- Brussel sprouts
- Green beans
- Still super into fermentation, crunchy + sour + fizzy + spicy
- No sweets either
- Beer is my downfall
41:04 - Supplements
- Not doing anything right now other than high quality protein
- On meds for nerve damage
- Fish Oil
- Psylluim husk
- Megafood Men's Once Daily Multivitamin - they are natural and organic, empty stomach
- Fish Oil
- Lions Mane
53:49 - Year Looking Forward
- New gym remodel going to help life
- Yoga once twice a week
- Breaking once a week
- Lifting every day
- Stretching every day
- VR Gaming (I burned 400 cals last night playing Super Hot)
- Goals to dead lift 350, weighted GHR, continue to progress at current rate
- Make cardio a thing
- Lose a Few Pounds + Energy + consistency
- Kettle Bells in office
- Consistent Gym before life takes a dive
- Lock down macros
- Less beer
- HeavySet App
- Syntax 020: Fitness, Nutrition, and Losing Weight
- Syntax 084: Fitness for Developers
- Skinny Taste Recipes
- Daniel Tiger
- MegaFood Men's One Daily Multivitamin
- Caffeine App
- Superhot VR
××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××
- Scott: Level Up Tutorials Pro - Sign up for the year and save 25%!
- Wes: All Courses - Use the coupon code 'Syntax' for $10 off!